• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

HUFFKINS Mine

Started by Barney, January 04, 2018, 12:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

small single blocks used as transmission boxes
Barney

finescalerr

I'm glad you've stayed with this forum. -- Russ

Hauk

Very, very cool!
Do you have original drawings of the machines?
There are some very similar machines preserved by the mining company that operated the Thamshavn Railway, and I might try my hands on model myself one fine day.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Barney

Hauk    Lots of info and some drawings at http://americanindustrialmining.com other info I got from the excellent Industrial Narrow Gauge Illustrated CD by J Tilston quite a few years old now but well worth it if you can still get it -its full of drawings -other drawings I found in back issues of the Narrow Gauge & Industrial Review - Eimco "mucker Shovel" there is loads of stuff on the net - The trammer in the scrap heap is a rough copy of one at a Slate mine in North Wales some years back I still have some rough measurements (done by my feet!) And few old "real photos" there were 2 of them one with twin motors and one single motor - the big one parked up for the night
is from the same source only got some measurements it was stuffed in a dark tunnel but I believe it was an odd bod version looks a bit like a American Ironstone type
so it was a bit of my modellers licence in it or as I call Freelance Prototypes
Hope this helps
Barney

Design-HSB

Hello Barny,

in my immediate vicinity is such an Eimco Rocker Storer in the colliery park from Klosterstollen.

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Barney

Heimut - thanks for the photos - Im just amazed at the amount of variations of these "little beasts" I can only presume being built all over the world not just in the USA were the first development & production began many variations would occur.
Is this machine still available - because Im still looking for some details that I just can not find the answer to - the only one I'v got close up to is one in the lake district and that had lots of bits missing.
Thanks Barney

Barney

The only one I got close to - but bits are missing

Barney

I think it was an early version - British built

Barney

with a few bits missing

Design-HSB

Barny, I'll go with the dog afterwards and see if she's still available there. If so, I can also take pictures and take measurements.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Design-HSB

Barny, all ok, but not yet and is freely accessible.

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Barney

Thats a nice clean machine and it looks like its got all its bits
Barney

Barney

Im after a few details on Gold mines in the 1920's Huffkins will be a small operation on the site of an early mine some of the equipment will be old and other bits will be refurbished and some new. The only details I can find is all late stuff. A recent TV serious showed a Caterpillar type digger down "a glory hole" digging up gravel and rocks then dumping it in a shaker /water washer type bed with different levels the bits of Gold were captured under a type of grid - has the process changed much would it have been like this in the 1920's era but just an earlier version (steam power /gas engine power)if there is any one out there who can help and point me in the right direction.
Thanks
   Barney
        looking for those nuggets

Barney

The start of a bit of machinery for the Huffkins Mine Project - A Hoist driven by a  petrol engine - the engine "Lump" is a 1/35th Cat engine beefed up to 1/24TH
and an early Cement mixer
The hoist all parts in a trial fit situation balanced so no heavy breathing at this point ! no detailing at this point still trying to work the bits out (what does what)
my Thanks to Chuck for all the drawings posted on the forum

Barney

The bits so far