• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Any Suggestions on New Camera?

Started by Tyler V, September 16, 2017, 05:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Today I think the big draw of Adobe is that it's the de facto tool for anyone who needs to exchange raw data or run something through two or three programs.

Now that I've spent more than a few minutes with Affinity I think it is top notch. As a stand-alone photographer I can't think of a reason why it would be inferior to Photoshop and, as I said above, it's actually better in some ways. But if I were a corporate oriented graphic artist and needed Lightroom, Illustrator, Premier (for video), and InDesign in my workflow, I might be stuck with Adobe.

For guys who just want top results, I can recommend Affinity Photo and, for video, DaVinci Resolve's free(!) version, as superb tools with no practical drawbacks. Because of that, Adobe already is losing appeal worldwide.

Russ

1-32

great shay Russ I remember them was it, Roger Russel.?
cheers kim

finescalerr

Good memory, Kim, but Roger didn't build this one. He has built others, though. Here's the background:

Robert A.M. Stephens built that 1:32n3 Shay. Bob sold it to Roger but Roger sent to back to Bob for some reason. Roger says Bob then demolished the (better looking) cab, replaced it with what you see, and kept it.

Now for the good part. Bob took out full page ads in my magazine back in 1994 and maybe one or two in 1995 but never paid for them. He also accepted payments from dozens of hobbyists for Shays and rolling stock but never built more than a few, mostly rolling stock, maybe a chain drive, but certainly no Shays.

A few outraged hobbyists accused Bob of postal fraud and the FBI showed up at my home one afternoon to ask me a lot of questions and to get photocopies of some paperwork. By the way, FBI agents have no sense of humor. Don't invite one to your home to be the life of the party. Incidentally, they never tried to prosecute Bob because, according to my sources, his roughly $40,000 alleged crime was "too small to bother with". (See, guys? Your tax dollars at work!)

Despite his dishonesty and everything else, I actually liked Bob Stephens; he is one of the funniest people I've ever spoken to. Not sure it would have been quite as much fun in person from what I hear. He used to phone me from Montana every day and talk for a couple of hours, usually late at night. We became pretty good "friends", if that's the right word.

Maybe that is why, a few months later, a big box arrived at my front door and inside were the Shay and a lot of little water cars, saw cars, disconnects, some handlaid track, and a few other odds and ends. I think I am one of the very few people actually to have received something from Bob and it came close enough to paying off his debt that we called it even. Shortly after that Bob disappeared. Last I heard he was living in or near Gig Harbor, Washington, had returned to painting landscapes, was very involved with old Jeeps, and had some kind of mutual lawsuit with an all night talk radio guy specializing in UFO sightings.

I'm still friends with Roger Russell and he recently scratchbuilt a 1:32 Shay but apparently Fedex demolished it.

Quite a colorful hobby we enjoy, isn't it?

Russ