• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

the rusty old over the hill costal trader in 1/35 scale

Started by 1-32, September 23, 2017, 09:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

hi all .
this is going to be a bit of a job one of a few that i have got going more will be added.

i want to build a new boat for my new travelling display and have been dreaming up for a while.a little tramp steamer  measuring 220 mm long 100 mm wide and very shallow-a waterline model.plastic, wood and metal.the main deal will be the painting.these look like the mock ups but i will most build on the rough carbdoard sheels.
cheers kim

shropshire lad

This should be an interesting project , Kim . I have long had a fascination with the old Clyde Puffers , which are essentially the same thing as you are building , and would love to build a model of one on a diorama . But like with most thing it is finding the time .

Nick

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

1-32

hi, all.
I have been looking at reference for a while and yes it is close to a Clyde puffer but it seems that they also had a Clyde coal carrier.The difference being the position of the funnel being in front of the wheelhouse, personally, i like the funnel in front of the wheelhouse.my preference is to do with balance, not practically.
but my major reference has come from the comic book series Tintin.i have a wild theory that the author was dyslexia and his skill of putting objects out of their logical position was part of the comics attraction..anyway this little boat is hopelessly out of scale -to fit the space, not the opposite so have a bit of free licence to pick and choose.
as always thank you for your interest.
cheers Kim

1-32

progress the basic shape has been mocked up a few features are beginning to emerge.The flying bridge just like the big ones and the access hatch at the stern .the big feature that will be built at the stern will be the lifeboat davit plus boat.no more mockups now the finished item.
cheers Kim

detail_stymied

Quote from: 1-32 on September 24, 2017, 07:14:52 PM
.... my major reference has come from the comic book series Tintin....

Hail All Things Herge!
s.e. charles

1-32

Bill Gill

That's going to look good , Kim. (Is it Ok to say it'll be "cute"?)

Carlo

Kim - Nice boat!
Could you post a pic of the Tin-Tin inspiration?
Carlo

finescalerr

Quit goofing off at the computer and get back to building! -- ssuR

1-32

Hi, Bill if you want to call a sun damaged 64-year-old Ozzie cute it is ok with me.
Carlo here is my original inspiration .
I have been looking at this picture for about a year now and I feel you have to draw it to fully understand what you can do with it.I know I can improve it.
The main problem is the placement of the funnel, in real life, it would not be in front of the wheelhouse soi have moved it to the stern.The original illustration and the prototypes are about 3 times longer than my model scaled out is 8 meters long, no worries proportion is important.
on top of the original shape, I will add picked elements that I find attractive like the flying bridge so in the end any semblance to the original inspiration will be gone.
hi, Russ, I hope you are getting more sleep in semi-retirement.
cheers Kim

Ray Dunakin

For a "cartoon", that's a rather lovely piece of art.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

shropshire lad

There is nothing wrong with having the funnel in front of the wheelhouse

Nick

1-32

hello all.
I have been doing a bit of work on my boat of late.funny it has changed from my original drawing-it is now diesel powered having steam would have taken up too much room on a miniature boat of this size.
there will be others.
getting the hull right is a lot of work -styrene construction.with this one there are two layers-a forming layers and a finished layer there will also be added a detail layer.wheelhouse -styrene and the canopy frame brass.
talk soon, Kim.