• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Building the C & AV, or, What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

Started by Greg Hile, August 08, 2017, 12:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

You think you have problems. Most of my finished, unburned models look like yours did after the gardeners demolished it! -- Russ

Greg Hile

Hey, if I could get $1.4 million for one of my creations ...

Greg Hile

I'm back! Yesterday's eye surgery went well and while there is still some swelling and the vision is a bit blurry, there is already a vast improvement and it will continue to improve over time. So I've got some catching up to do and I'm anxious to really get back at it. And from the look of things, there is some incredible modeling going on!

As for me, while my vision issues have largely precluded any significant modeling over the past year, I have been overseeing the renovation of our mid-century modern suburban home into a Craftsman revival. Working on this project has been incredibly valuable experience for my modeling work, despite the splinters!

I'm about to start the annual Mik's Challenge over on the LSC forum and will be building a sort-of Craftsman home with a twist. Next door to the livery stable from last year was this weird water pump, windmill thingy that I will also be adding to the project, minus the creepy people hidden in the photo. The prototype of the home belonged to a very prominent family in Martinez, which I will reveal at a later time.

finescalerr

I'm glad the surgery went well and I hope your eye will be better than ever. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

I'm glad to hear the surgery went well and that you are recovering nicely.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Good to hear the surgery went well. Looking forward to seeing what you work on next.

Design-HSB

Hello Greg,

being able to see well is extremely important in our hobby and wish you all the best for further recovery.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Greg Hile

Well, good news and bad news. I have finally been released from the docs for my detached retina and subsequent lens insertion, three days before the one-year anniversary of the detachment. I now go to the optometrist for glasses in a couple weeks.

The news wasn't all good, however. After the last surgery my vision had improved but was distorted. I was informed that the distortion was permanent and would likely not get any better, so I don't know where that leaves me in terms of finescale modeling. I guess time will tell.

Lawton Maner

Since most of the members of this forum have a distorted view of the world, you will still fit in well.  On a serious note I am sorry to learn of the problem and hope you rise to the challenge and keep slugging along and embarrassing us with the quality your work. 

Design-HSB

Greg,

I can understand you very well, because I have also had an eye condition for decades and am therefore a regular with the ophthalmologist.
Hopefully your trained skills will be enough to let us continue to share in your beautiful models.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

One of our best modelers is blind in one eye. -- Russ

Greg Hile

Thanks all, I needed that. It's been a tough week. One of my other passions is ancestry research, and on top of all this vision stuff, I discovered that a somewhat distant cousin of mine was Richard Nixon. Related to an American president and it had to be Tricky Dick.

In any event, I do plan to keep on modeling and most likely with one eye closed. We'll see (no pun intended) after I get new glasses.

Greg

Ray Dunakin

Sorry to hear about the setback, Greg. Maybe they can correct it with glasses?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Greg Hile

We'll see what the optometrist says on March13, but the ophthalmologists seem to think the wavyness will be permanent. The funny thing is that my distance vision is better than it ever was!