Westlake Publishing Forums
October 23, 2017, 04:42:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:     REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TimberTimes is no more  (Read 580 times)
NORCALLOGGER

« on: August 03, 2017, 03:51:35 PM »

Announced over on the 4L list TimberTimes magazine has closed shop.
Sad the last of the timber industry modeling books has gone away.
Rick
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:28:27 AM »

They were always operating on the edge. The reason they survived was absolute dedication to the hobby. Phil and I used to talk a lot and I never understood how he stayed afloat even before the hobby began its steep decline.

TimberTimes was a darned good publication and everyone associated with it is or was a gentleman. I'm really sorry to hear that news.

Russ
lab-dad

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 05:58:32 AM »

Not good...
Glad I own every one.

Wonder if the books side will stay open?

Mj

Martin G. Jones Photography
    Go not where the path leads
Go instead, where there is no path,
           And leave a trail
NORCALLOGGER

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 08:39:20 AM »

Not good...
Glad I own every one.

Wonder if the books side will stay open?

Mj

Yea, me too, every issue.
The web site is down and no response to emails at this time.

Word is that it is done, but one must wonder what is to become of the probable large stock of books on hand.  Seems like it would be a rather large investment to not try to get back somehow.

Also wonder what about the "New Shay Book" that has been in the promise state for the last several years.
Rick

Chuck Doan
Mr. Wizard

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 05:07:43 PM »

While there are places to see logging photos (facebook for example), there are few if any place to read the history as it was presented in Timber Times.

“They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details.” -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/
Lawton Maner

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 06:19:26 AM »

It would have been nice for them to let those of us who have subscriptions know.
Mr Potato Head

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 09:46:17 AM »

Lawton
funny! that's what they said when the stock market crashed! or the savings and loan scandal
Gil

Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho
Chuck Doan
Mr. Wizard

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 06:51:16 PM »

I have heard that one of the editors is ill. I doubt it was an easy decision.

“They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details.” -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/
NORCALLOGGER

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 07:49:41 PM »

I agree that it would have been just "common courtesy" to let us subscribers know that it was coming to an end.  Not to mention paid ahead subscription monies. 

It has been rumored for the last year or so that Phil was having health issues and I don't think Steve has really had much interest in the magazine for several years ( that last is just my opinion). 

Just sad to see one of the last print venues of logging history fade away.  As Chuck pointed out, photos are a dime a dozen on the net but there is no historic information attached to them and if there is it is usually incorrect.
Rick   
Lawton Maner

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 07:26:20 AM »

Unlike when Railroad Model Craftsman was saved, the new owners honored outstanding subscriptions; when TT went bust a simple  sorry would have gone a long way toward smoothing feelings.
At least Russ gave all of us over a year's warning of  when the last issue would be published.
Mobilgas

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 01:15:01 PM »

Sad New's Sad Ill try to get the one's I'm missing now.

Craig
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: