• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jordan Highway Miniatures Crane

Started by Chester Fesmire, April 30, 2017, 05:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chester Fesmire

I mourn the loss of these little 1/87 scale gems. The detail is unmatched in 1/87 scale vehicles (imo) and I have enjoyed building many over the years. Apparently Jordan Jackson, the son of the original creator and latest operator of the business, has put in his will that the masters and moulds be destroyed, leaving many of us looking for something to fill the void as well as an unbelievable escalation in prices on ebay.
   Be that as it may, I show here what is one of my last kits in the Bucyrus Erie b-2 steam crawler in a crane configuration. The cabin rotates 360° and the boom operates to a small degree with the use of a rubberized cable. Not much change to the kit except for the omission of the wooden sides so as to view the workings inside better and the addition of a wooden coal bin.

finescalerr

When someone like you can build such a terrific model from his kits, it seems idiotic for Jordan Jackson to destroy the masters and molds. For no apparent reason he is depriving the world of a good product. Can't he just find a suitable guy and either sell or give away the hardware? -- Russ

Burl

Hard to believe that is HO.  I would struggle to get that level of detail in 1:29.  Is it resin, or metal?

TRAINS1941

Beautiful work Chester.

And your right why would he want to destroy something that made so many happy??? :o

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

Excellent Chester! I really like the weathering.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Seattle Dave

Though I've heard that "destroy them" rumor, I've not heard it from anyone who actually KNOWS it to be true.  Not sure we ever will.  It's an interesting story.  If there really was that much demand for them, someone else will certainly be able to cut new injection molding tools and bring them (and others) back to the market.

I doubt that will happen.  They are beautiful little kits, but I suspect nobody got rich making them!

Dave
Dave VanderWal

Ray Dunakin

Excellent work, on a marvelous kit.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chester Fesmire

Thanks for all the kind words. As to whether the rumor is correct or not concerning the demise of the line, simply try to place an order with these folks and you will get a response that says they will no longer be available.

And to answer your question Burl, these are injected moulded plastic.

Bill Gill

Nice crane, Chester!

I've also heard various versions of the "molds will be destroyed" stories. Some supposedly 'reported' because many of the molds were beginning to wear out, Jordan Jackson did not want his name connected to possibly lesser new molds. Another version was that although the kits sold well, it was not a big money making enterprise and he did not want to burden family with either trying to continue the business or sorting out and selling it off.

Either way, if the models truly will not ever be produced again it will be a loss. The difference in prices before and after he died seemed to support the belief that it was the end of the line.

SandiaPaul

Really nice model, and I just figured out that you are Chester from years ago! Too bad about the Jordan kits, about 10 years ago I bought a few of the crane/shovels thinking back then that they were not not long for the world.
Paul

mabloodhound

It's something about people on their death beds that they get the idea to destroy their life work will make them more noble or something.
Never made logical sense.  I had a relative order her manuscript destroyed but I had a copy from years earlier and was able to publish it.
Family has been thankful for getting a copy of it.
Maybe someone will re-design and copy the molds for new releases.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Scratchman

Chester I have seven kits that I have had since the 70's  if you want them, send  me your mailing address and they're yours. Nice job on all of your modeling.

C-211 Mack Truck Chassis and Cab.
C-204 Jeep Panel Delivery.
C-205 Jeep Station Wagon.
360-218 Fordson Farm Tractor.
360-208 1913 Ford Fire Truck.
360-221 Ahrens-Fox Fire Truck.
360-220 1923 Mack Aerial Ladder Fire Truck.

The Aerial ladder was started and has some broken  parts

Gordon Birrell

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonbirrell/

detail_stymied

can't beat an offer like that. I remember when the Woody cost the princely sum of 50 cents. well, I had the money, but the seven year old's fingers not the skill to assemble it.
s.e. charles