• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Steam Power: Building the Panama Canal

Started by Ed Morris, April 08, 2017, 03:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Morris

Five thousand workers died during the U.S. phase of canal construction.  The lack of visible safety or protective gear in the photographs would suggest that many more thousands probably suffered work related injuries.

The photos below document one of the more serious problems encountered during construction--earth slides:

Hopefully the shovel operators got out before the shovel was buried.

Allan G

For anyone who wants "a lot" more info on the building of the canal (both the French and American efforts) there's a great book by David McCullough:
"The Path Between the Seas"......Allan

Ed Morris

Thanks for the tip on the book.  I downloaded the Kindle version.  I've read a couple of his other books and like his style.  I see that he lists Avery, the author of the book I got the photographs from, as one of his sources.

Ed Morris

What do you do with 200 million cubic yards of dirt?  Apparently, you haul it off somewhere with a hundred work trains each day.

finescalerr

The Paraiso facilities might make a good diorama/layout. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

It's interesting the way they used flat cars, and unloaded them with a plow pulled by cable.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Ed Morris

Wrapping up, the next sequence of images purport to show the last train out, last rock removed, and so on.

Next week I will post the final images from the book.

Ed Morris

Final images.  I hope this has been enjoyable and inspirational.  I'm thinking of modeling the entire canal under construction circa 1910. ::).  Maybe in Z scale!  First I've got to find 119 French tank locos in Z scale...

finescalerr

Well, that was interesting, educational, and fun. What's next? -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Thanks so much for posting these! Great stuff, all very interesting!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World