• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

model woodsy spots

Started by Bill Gill, April 06, 2017, 05:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Here are a few wooded areas on my C&V RR

Bill Gill

another scene

lab-dad

Nice scenes!
More please!
-Marty

Bill Gill

Thanks, Marty. Those shots cover pretty much the few areas finished enough to photograph right now. One of the things I need to do more scenes is a way to make a bazillion bare trees for one whole side of the layout. Unfortunately that side gets a lot of sun in the winter, so I want trees that won't get brittle and crumble like a lot of thin real weed armatures will. I like twisted wire trees, but the number needed makes that impractical.

finescalerr

Adequate and enjoyable. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful!

I wonder if spraying the weed-armatures with Krylon UV-resistant clear coat would help?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Very nice work Bill! How do you combat dust?
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Bill Gill

Thanks, Russ.

Ray, I've tried Krylon U-V on weedy stuff (St John's Wort, Goldenrod and a mix of other local weeds I've found).  I also experimented with a combination of painting some of those weeds with spray paint and then some with craft acrylics and then some of those also got the Krylon as a final top coat, but over time they all got brittle making them very fragile.

Chuck, because my layout is so small, I have a plan to make a dust cover out of a bed sheet and a few removable hoops made out of PVC electrical conduit, sort like a covered wagon. In the meantime, I try to stay ahead of the dust with a stiff 3/4" flat natural bristle artist's oil painting brush and a small vacuum with a piece of stocking over the end of the nozzle. I use both at the same time, gently loosening the dust and spiderwebs with the brush in one hand while vacuuming it up with the other so the dust doesn't just settle someplace else. That's how I know the bare trees I mentioned above to Ray get brittle fairly quickly. I found, for me, contrary to what i thought, a stiff brush works better than a soft one. I sort of carefully "stipple" the trees to loosen the dust. The soft brush either seemed to smear the dust deeper into the foliage, or to get snagged on the trees.