• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Couplers, revisted

Started by Burl, April 01, 2017, 05:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burl

Ray's post on changing scales inspired me.  He wanted to go bigger, and that certainly has it's challenges.  I, however, decided to try going smaller.

I wanted to see how small I could make a working coupler.  Trip pin, knuckle, draft gear and all.  At first, I was going to simulate the draft gear action with a spring... but then I thought: why not make the draft gear too?

I have been experimenting with using a cat whisker to trigger the trip pin.  Unfortunately, they are very easy to lose, and my cat isn't very happy with me right now.

More photos here: http://burlrice.com/couplers/

And before anyone asks, here's my scale:

Bill Gill

Hi Burl, Welcome to the forums. Nice work, but you'l have to knuckle down about  a couple things if you want to be taken seriously ;D
How about a few words how you did it.

finescalerr

We need to change the name of this place to The Comedy Forum! -- Russ

Burl

When I first started making my own couplers, I was having a pattern made by Shapeways in brass.  I was sending these to a foundry, where it was duplicated in the investment casting process.  After a while, when I looked at how much I was ordering from the foundry, I realized it would be cheaper for me to do the wax injecting myself.  I have several years experience in resin casting, so the transition was pretty smooth.  I bought my own wax injector, a couple different flavors of wax, and started experimenting with platinum based RTV (all the Tin-cure RTVs I had any experience with were too soft).  It didn't take long before I was successful.

My first iteration of this coupler included the centersill as a cast piece:

After running a few, I could see it wasn't cost effective.  I was looking at $10-$12 for each centersill.  I also intended to attach the bottom plate with screws.  I was not thrilled with the idea of drilling and tapping all those tiny holes, but I couldn't think of anything better.  I also did not have a good answer for replicating the draft gear mechanism.

Then the light bulb came on: photoetch.  It would require soldering, but I figured I could silver solder the front & rear draft lugs, and the striker plate.  Then I could assemble the whole thing and solder the bottom plate on with a lower temp (silver-bearing) solder.  It worked acceptably, but I can see after making one up, I need to tweak the fit of some things.  Its hard to calculate exactly how the photoetched parts will bend, and a few thousands of an inch makes a difference.  And the price came way down - like $2 each.

In my next revision, the striker plate and the front draft lugs will be once piece.  They are designed to lock into the centersill when its folded, so no need for a clamping mechanism for soldering.  I'm also going to try using .032" rivets to hold the bottom plate in place for soldering.  Will post more photos as I progress.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Lawton Maner

Jewel like work.  The humor of the illustration of the scale you work in will make you fit in well with this group. 

Burl

I have decided to rework my trip pin, and see if I can make it operable.  My first revision required the pin to be manually pushed up from beneath.  If this revision succeeds, it will be operable by a cut lever.

Here's a 3d rendering:

And here are the patterns ready for molding:

Burl

I got distracted last week with some unexpected dental work, but have gotten back to wax casting.  Here's the latest batch about to be sent off to the foundry:

Bill Gill

These will be exciting to see assembled!
If this works well are these couplers you are considering offering for sale?

finescalerr

Those turned out beautifully. -- Russ

Burl

Bill: If it works, AND I can keep the price reasonable, yes.