• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on May 29, 2019, 08:45:20 PM
That's the best you could do? -- ssuR

That's right , Chuck . If you don't raise your game a notch or two Russ is going to be forced to show you how it should be done !

WP Rayner

:o :o :o  Unbelievable work as usual... you're giving me increased feelings of inadequacy  ;)
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Chuck Doan

Thanks! Yes Russ it's all I can do. For now.

I installed the ignition magneto. This is an aftermarket style that replaced the troublesome Model T trembler coils that came from the factory. I didn't want to repeat all the same details I did on the last Fordson.

Designed in Solidworks and printed by Shapeways in their smoothest detail plastic. I cored the parts for a .030 brass wire to strengthen the fragile material.

There are grease cups to keep this well lubricated. Sadly, the front side will mostly be hidden when the radiator is installed.

The screws on the magneto caps were made from Tichy model RR rivets with the screwdriver slot cut in with an Xacto.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Just amazing!

Glad you didn't bore us with a repeat of the one you did on the Fordson!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Not bad. Did you find the hi-res plastic from Shapeways far superior to what you've generally used? -- Russ

Bill Gill

Looks good. Is that the surface as it comes from Shapeways without any smoothing?

Chuck Doan

Thanks very much! Russ, this is just the FXD material with a different name. They have dropped the FUD/FXD names for some reason.

Bill, unfortunately no. The parts require sanding/ scraping to get rid of the print lines. I consider it a form of "sweat equity".
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

finescalerr

We need to find a guy with a FormLabs printer or the equivalent. The output from my friend's printer I saw had no print lines and the resolution of injection molded parts. -- Russ

Gordon Ferguson

Fabulous , as to be expected 😉

Could you share how you achieved the 2 different paint finishes ...... completely captures the look of old aluminium castings
Gordon

Chuck Doan

Thanks Gordon!

The steps:
Primed with Mr. Surfacer black spray.
Applied thin ap of Rub N Buff Silver Leaf, and when dry, I, um, buffed it.
Then coated with Dullcote and soda blasted at low pressure (with my mini sandblaster and baking soda) to start to reveal the black, but just. Had a coupla do-overs here.
Then lightly cosmetic sponged Prismacolor pencil paint White and sealed again with Dullcote.

The (I assume Bakelite) distributor cap was painted with a grey/black mixed Prismacolor paint and then dusted with Bragdon pigments.

The grease is brown and black oil paint with fine dirt mixed in. The natural sheen of the oils can be left as is, or dulled with a touch of Prisma paint or brought up more with drybrushed high gloss.

Prismacolor paint is a wet pencil rubbed on a square of fine sandpaper. You can use it immediately as paint (brushed on) or let it dry and then pick up with a damp cosmetic sponge for subtle applications. I usually tear off a small bit of sponge and hold it with tweezers. EDIT: I use the Premier version of the pencils for this.

Dave Fischer

Chuck-- I am SO glad you are willing to lay out a step-by-step on these techniques The Prisma paint is a great idea-- is that a standard Prismacolor pencil (the somewhat waxy, thick-leaded one) or the Prisma watercolor pencil? I remember back in the good old days of illustration using rubber cement thinner on a soft brush to soften and blend Prismacolor pencils over a painted background... works quite well and easily controlled, but rubber cement thinner is getting awfully hard to find (and WAY more expensive). I'm also wondering if anyone else can SMELL the dirt and oil on that engine?   DF

Chuck Doan

Good point Dave. I have tried both types of the Prismacolor pencils, but I find the Premier pencils work better for me than the Watercolor (the Premier pencils are also water soluble for those who haven't used them). I hadn't heard of the rubber cement thinner method, could be a bit too potent for my workbench area! FYI, Bestine is back on the market after a couple of years of being out of production. I use it to clean the Shapeways FUD parts.

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks Chuck for taking the time to explain how you did the paint effects .......

Really must dig out my mini sand blaster and the baking soda , think it must be in the same cupboard as the grass master 😉😂😂😂
Gordon

Carlo

Great SBS, Chuck!
Gordon, what's a mini-sand-blaster (for use with baking soda)?
Carlo