• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

All what the others say - meanwhile I will take a big gasp followed by several pints of Larger
Barney

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Buster95 on September 03, 2017, 08:14:27 AM
You are really one of the best modeler I've ever seen!!!

I would go further: Chuck Doan IS the best in his field - far ahead from all of us (and I hope I will not offend anybody here  ::)). Ok, there are a some others too, but all in other branches, and they can be counted on one hand, e.g.
Chris Flodberg, Kim hyun-soo - maritime modelling
Randy Hage, Ichiyoh Haga - diorama modelling

But what distinguishes the work of Chuck is, that he has, against current trends, never strived his own style. Maybe you know the work of Adam Wilder and his methode of color modulating or the style of Mig Jimenez - all outstanding modelers without daubts and all with their personal syle.
IMHO Chuck goes a step further: He never cares about styles, he "simply" captures the real thing, and that in such a way, non of all other artists can archieve. His models ARE the real thing.

So... thank you, Chuck, for sharing us your techniques.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

finescalerr

Actually I am a much better modeler than Chuck, and quite prolific, but far too modest to post my work. Chuck and the others are aware of that, of course, because I taught them everything they know, help with the detail work, and do all the final finishing. Their nickname for me, in French of course, is le menteur. If you don't know the translation, you should look it up; it's very flattering. -- ssuR

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on September 09, 2017, 11:29:23 AM
Actually I am a much better modeler than Chuck, and quite prolific, but far too modest to post my work. Chuck and the others are aware of that, of course, because I taught them everything they know, help with the detail work, and do all the final finishing. Their nickname for me, in French of course, is le menteur. If you don't know the translation, you should look it up; it's very flattering. -- ssuR

"Le Menteur" . That is one of the many nicknames they have for you . I rather favour an even more flattering nickname :

" Le LegEnd " !

Nick , back from the Alps .

Ray Dunakin

Wow Chuck, that looks terrific!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Sami

Chuck, Your work is alway impressive ! How far you are going to go to the realism ?

Finescalerr, The name in french is "mentor". Cordially

finescalerr

Sami, my post was a play on words. I wanted it to look like "mentor" but to mean exactly what it says: "liar"! -- Russ

Sami

Buster95

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on September 09, 2017, 04:07:21 AM
Quote from: Buster95 on September 03, 2017, 08:14:27 AM
You are really one of the best modeler I've ever seen!!!

I would go further: Chuck Doan IS the best in his field - far ahead from all of us (and I hope I will not offend anybody here  ::)). Ok, there are a some others too, but all in other branches, and they can be counted on one hand, e.g.
Chris Flodberg, Kim hyun-soo - maritime modelling
Randy Hage, Ichiyoh Haga - diorama modelling

But what distinguishes the work of Chuck is, that he has, against current trends, never strived his own style. Maybe you know the work of Adam Wilder and his methode of color modulating or the style of Mig Jimenez - all outstanding modelers without daubts and all with their personal syle.
IMHO Chuck goes a step further: He never cares about styles, he "simply" captures the real thing, and that in such a way, non of all other artists can archieve. His models ARE the real thing.

So... thank you, Chuck, for sharing us your techniques.

This modeler is not bad too http://www.martin-heukeshoven.de/

finescalerr

You're right, he's not too bad. Looks like he models in about 1:12 scale but I couldn't find any verification. -- Russ

Hal Reynolds

Very very impressive, as usual, nicely done. I love it.
(keep them coming)

Hal

Chuck Doan

Thanks very much again for the nice words! I keep seeing some astounding model work on the internet, and thankfully weathering has become a big thing. Very nice to see (and learn) all the different techniques being used. I consider the hairspray paint chipping method as one of the best ever.

I have now glued the haulback drum in place and installed the bearing caps and 00-90 brass nuts. The grease on the gears was based pics of Shay locos and other open gears. The gear teeth were treated the same as earlier described. I am adding bits of pine needles and such to some of the bearing cap grease; this is another thing seen on some Shays that run in the forest. The chain drive sprockets will eventually attach to the brass axle stubs.  Now I need to figure out how to install the brake strap that winds around the wide end of the drum.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

That is just awesome.

Looks to be as close to the real thing as your going to see.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Bill Gill

I agree too! You can smell the pine sap.