• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Roof top access door

Started by detail_stymied, September 19, 2016, 04:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

detail_stymied

is there a specific name for the enclosure which covers the end of the stairs & door that exits onto a roof? (on a mill or factory building circa 1900)

thanks

s.e. charles

5thwheel

Not quite sure what you are talking about but are you maybe talking about a "hatch?"
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Design-HSB

I think an image would explain here more like 1000 words.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

NORCALLOGGER

I think this is what you are talking about.
Check out this thread by Ken Hamilton
starting at about page 22-23
http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1229.0

detail_stymied

yes; thank you. page #22, fourth post down, where the stairs exit the building through the little doghouse looking structure. is there a specific architectural name for that? it's in all the film noir movies when the bad guy runs through the building and onto the roof. it's everywhere - except in my google searches!
s.e. charles

NORCALLOGGER

Speaking of which,
Where is Ken Hamilton????  Master modeler extra-ordinary!!
Has anyone heard anything from him in the last few years???

finescalerr

He is still building models and people buy them as art. Some of our guys seem to have wandered off to post on Facebook and among them is Ken. -- Russ

kudrdima

Quote from: finescalerr on September 19, 2016, 11:50:15 PM
... Some of our guys seem to have wandered off to post on Facebook and among them is Ken. -- Russ
Ken Hamilton - Miniature Construction and http://www.kenhamilton-miniatureconstruction.com/
I apologize for the English - a transfer is from Russian into English made by means of an online translator of PROMT

mabloodhound

Back to the question...I always called it and heard it referred to as a doghouse. :-\
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower