• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Designing a shadowbox diorama

Started by Hauk, July 27, 2016, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

narrowgauger

Hauk

I will need build you a small rivet press to punch the "rivets" into the etches;  would save you a lot of time and ....................... lots of money.

having said that the work as always is superb.

Bernard S

Hauk

Quote from: narrowgauger on October 23, 2019, 09:52:36 PM
Hauk

I will need build you a small rivet press to punch the "rivets" into the etches;  would save you a lot of time and ....................... lots of money.

having said that the work as always is superb.

Bernard S

An very generous offer! ;)
But I just love those turned rivets... To me, they look far better than punched rivets, and they add to the structural integrity of the model. I will also try to make a few real riveted connections to keep everything firmly together during further construction.
The rivets cost a little (app. 8 cent a piece), but it is an indulgence I treat myself to!

But if you ask my shrink, he will probably claim it has something to do with not having a toy like this as a kid:

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Design-HSB

Hello Hauk,

again impressive what you're doing. I can confirm to you I also love the studs inserted. I also use wires, which I then round off from both sides. This has the advantage that the rivet heads on both sides are the same size and thus look even better as really riveted.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

5thwheel

Quote from: Hauk on October 23, 2019, 03:09:43 PM
Oh, yes there will be rivets!
I use turned brass rivets from several different sources (including Scale Hardware, me thinks). And it is really not that much work.

Beautiful Hauk.   I also use Scale Hardware nuts and rivets. Spendy, as you say but save a lot of additional hand work.

Bill Hudson
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

nemmrrc

Lovely work. Will make an outstanding diorama in the end.
Jaime

Hauk

Thanks to all fort the encouraging comments!

This is what the gantry crane looks like at the moment:

I am quite happy with the look of it, but I wonder sometimes if it is really worth all the effort. It have taken far longer to build the damn thing than I ever imagined. 
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

None of what we do is worth the effort ... except to US. I doubt anyone here would say you should have taken shortcuts. Because you did what you felt necessary, the gantry is as perfect as its scale permits. In other words, it is most satisfactory. -- Russ

Bernhard

Hauk, this is really impressive. I did my apprenticeship in a company that built such cranes. There I saw many drawings of such old cranes in the archives. Unfortunately I didn't make any copies at that time.
Bernhard

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on December 14, 2019, 11:59:54 PM
None of what we do is worth the effort ... except to US. I doubt anyone here would say you should have taken shortcuts. Because you did what you felt necessary, the gantry is as perfect as its scale permits. In other words, it is most satisfactory. -- Russ

You are right as usual, Russ.
I forgot for a moment that this is the sort of modeling that makes me happy. I just have to fight the occasional urge to be a rational person that uses his spare time for something of value for mankind.

Truth be told; I think that gantry is starting to look damn cool! ;D
Regards, Hauk
--

Bill Gill

I agree, Hauk, the gantry is starting to look damn cool!

Lawton Maner

Bernard:

To use Russ' words: "go stand in the corner".  While there write 100 times "I must ALWAYS make copies". 

As an observer of old buildings I always have my camera with me.  Close friends accuse me of taking my camera with me to the Head.  Not true, by close.  Always document because the next time you are there it might be a vacant lot.  I learned that lesson when and old mill town building in Pennsylvania disappeared between FEBT work sessions.

Then there is the publish rule: Once you publish an article with only 90% of the data needed someone will share something he has been hiding just so he can prove you wrong. 

Design-HSB

Hauk, not finished yet, but already to see that it has to be exelented.

In addition, I had to experience that unfortunately you have always copied and collected the wrong one and what you really need is always missing.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Bernhard

Lawton, I just got back from the corner. In my defence, however, I must say that was 48 years ago. And then I had other interests.