• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:32 Diorama

Started by finescalerr, July 16, 2016, 06:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

I've finished everything except the roof so I'll take a couple of new photos with better lighting.

As for the inks, they are Epson's best photo inks and should last at least 100 years. I keep my models away from sunlight and fluorescent bulbs. So far my photos, including those I use for model artwork, have outlasted some stains!

Just for fun, here is one wall of a 1:48 scale caboose I've designed. It's printed card and I'm about to see whether the parts actually fit together.

Russ

Bill Gill

Russ, I like the beaded car siding you made for the caboose. Hope it all fits together.

Barney

Quite adequate !
Barney

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Frithjof

finescalerr

I have finished the shack. It will sit in a corner of the diorama so the side walls are very short. This post and the next three show the structure. It is entirely paper and card from my own artwork. -- Russ

finescalerr

Another view.

finescalerr

Here is the front.

finescalerr

And the roof. It looks as though some strange color artifacts occurred during the upload. -- Russ

5thwheel

Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Ray Dunakin

Wow, that is amazing!! 
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Design-HSB

Hello Russ, absolutely upper class the forum according to Finescale.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Bill Gill

Came out very well. Were the shingles individually cut from photo prints of shingles or of other wood and cut to shingle sizes?

lab-dad

Not bad, but the white edges of the cut shingles are a giveaway.
Coloring the edges would be a real PITA though.....
Whatever the artifacts are they seem to work.
Glad you are modeling & sharing.
-Mj

finescalerr

Actually, I stained the cut edges of the shingles and every other part of the model. (Yes, every edge.) Parts with a very thin (scale) cross section (including wood) tend to reflect light differently than a thick one so the edge may look bright from some angles even after you stain it. Also, the strong JPEG compression of the photos didn't help at all. In the 63 megabyte full resolution TIFF images the shingle edges are the same color as the tops.

It took much more time to compress the images to fit this forum's archaic requirements than it did to set up, photograph, sharpen, and crop the photos!

I created the shingle artwork from a highly modified photo of a weathered board wall, printed it on the same paper as the boards and bats, and used a knife and scissors to create shingle strips. If anybody wants a copy, please send me a note.

Russ