• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:32 Diorama

Started by finescalerr, July 16, 2016, 06:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

I'm still fooling around with the shack. So far I like the original card structure better than the one I made from mystery wood (not basswood). Yesterday I found some cardstock I had printed eight years ago and, while it isn't exactly the weathered wood I had in mind, I built up a small wall section and photographed all three examples.

Starting from the left are 1.) stained card, 2.) printed card, and 3.) mystery wood I stained with acrylic gray.

The experiment will continue with stained basswood and different printed cardstock, this time with knots (if I can unclog my dormant inkjet printer).

Russ

finescalerr

Okay, this is my third attempt at building a 1:32 shack and making it look like REAL weathered cedar wood. I finally achieved what I've been trying to accomplish. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Yes!!!  THAT looks real! Congrats, your perseverance has certainly paid off!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

'bout friggin' time!  ;)
Glad you didnt give up!
-Mj

Bill Gill

OK! That looks satisfactory.

Is it a photographic process that gave all the detailed knots and whatnots? Please share your technique.

TRAINS1941

Russ that looks really nice.

You are going to do the rest of the building right?

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Thanks, guys. Yes, I finally had to resort to photography. All attempts at creating miniature swirls, grain lines, knots, and coloration in miniature (after three months of trying) ended up as impressionistic approximations. I found a photo of the boards I wanted online and used Photoshop to weather them. (They started out a reddish-brown color.) I scaled them down to a ten scale inch width and used a pro quality inkjet photo printer to output the artwork on 0.012-inch thick art paper of the proper finish and texture.

Then I laminated the paper onto heavier cardstock, cut out the boards and bats, and built up the shack. It will be a reduced depth structure and will sit on the back corner of an 8" square base. The left wall is 2 inches deep and the right 1 inch. The window and roof are the next little projects.

I now have an entire junk box of weathered wood and stained/painted card that just didn't make the grade -- three months' work -- as well as two other 1:32 shacks (each without a roof and window), one of card, the other of wood.

There now is no question: I am clinically insane.

Russ

EZnKY

Well I love it!
The insanity is the point...
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Sami

The tries are decisive. Good job !

TRAINS1941

Quote from: finescalerr on October 04, 2016, 11:00:56 AM

I now have an entire junk box of weathered wood and stained/painted card that just didn't make the grade -- three months' work -- as well as two other 1:32 shacks (each without a roof and window), one of card, the other of wood.

There now is no question: I am clinically insane.

Russ

Maybe you should go back to publishing something you were very good at if not exceptional!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Lawton Maner

Insanity is the act of doing something repeatedly and expecting different results. ;D

Hydrostat

Russ,

that looks good to me. Did you take the picture in another light constellation? It looks a bit overexposed and the shadows seem to be much harder than in the previous pictures. Well, printed stock: Why don't you dare to try to paint some wood like that? Might work ...

And I second what Jerry said  :D.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

It's just a quick iPhone shot, outdoors, late afternoon. That would account for the contrast.

As for painting, I spent two months trying to get decent results and failed. Over time I have learned I am better with computers than with a paintbrush, miniature table saw, machine tools, or a high level of artistry.

Russ

Hydrostat

If it looks the part I can't see anything wrong in using whatever technique there's available or someone is good at. What I thought about painting was indees imitating one special board. My only concern about the prints is color fading after some time. But I'm afraid I'm a bit old school at that and ink qualities and especially UV-resistant varnishes have improved ever since. I'd really like to see some more pictures taken in a less harsh light.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Bill Gill

I agree, the results are the goal, not the method. And your results look very good. But I too wonder about the lightfastness of the inks in general. Some Epson inks are listed as archival, others????

Here's recent research on archival properties of inks:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251484589_Light_Fastness_of_Pigment-based_and_Dye-based_Inkjet_Inks

Here is an Amazon listing for archival ink refills for Canon, Epson and HP printers
https://www.amazon.com/Archival-Ink-USA-Systems-Printers/dp/B004CCO8T6