• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

78n18 indoors, the General Store

Started by henrix72se, November 04, 2008, 11:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

henrix72se

I model in 78n18 because I like working in wood and brass in this huge scale. Using resin or lasercut thin plywood is very different from this.

I have modelled in several scales through the years, but this scale really have got me going. My current project is divided in two periods. First is a "mobile" loop called "Aspendale Wharf" (well.., two persons are needed to move it. More for size than weight) and the second will be a shelf layout with a factory scene called "Borkum Match".

On this thread I will try to document the progress. Much more fun to document while it happen. After each month I will  continue to publish my logbook as I usually do. For example on my October logbook at http://trains.laurells.net/projects/bmt/2008/0810.html I present a few photos on how the General Store looks so far.

---

The orginal idea I got from Rusty Stumps Models webpage. I found it over a year ago, but haven't started until this autumn. A few more pics on the O scale model you can find at http://www.rustystumps.com/OHapHazards.asp

I found it to be very nice and ideal for my layout, at least in the compressed version I made. If made strictly to drawings, it would fill complete loop...

Here is a few photos. First on the original kit.

/Henrik
I model Estate, Industrial and Military light railways in 78n18 scale.

henrix72se

A bit of progress, made two doors and a staircase today.

/Henrik

Used hardcard first and added the wood strips on top.

Staircase.

And with paint on.

Daniel

Henrik:
         Welcome to the Forum.
         I will not comment your pictures because I already have done that before. But I am glad you've joined. There is plenty to learn here.

Daniel

marc_reusser

Henrik,

Cool. Coming along nicely.  A question though, why is there such a visible horizontal seam betwen the first and second floor if the structure.....especially noticeable at the red/bern portion?

FWIW...On prototype structures like this, where board & batten siding met/butted like that, there was most often a horizontal board that covered the seam/joint, and the battens died into the top & bottom edge of that board.

Marc  :)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

Where the hell did my post go?
Russ?
Anyway, glad you like what I did with the Rusty kit.
At least somebody liked it! ;)
-Marty

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Marty, better post it again. I certainly didn't dump it! Sometimes these sites get little gremlins. -- Russ

henrix72se

Quote from: marc_reusser on November 08, 2008, 03:25:35 PM
Henrik,

Cool. Coming along nicely.  A question though, why is there such a visible horizontal seam betwen the first and second floor if the structure.....especially noticeable at the red/bern portion?

FWIW...On prototype structures like this, where board & batten siding met/butted like that, there was most often a horizontal board that covered the seam/joint, and the battens died into the top & bottom edge of that board.

Marc  :)
Hi Marc and thanks. The building is made in 3 parts, first floor in one and second in two. On this picture I forgot to align them properly. Normally the seam is not that visible. Maybe I should have a horizontal beam to disguise it a bit. This building I have build with no real measures, just what's needed to get things to align. Only followed the pictures prev. in this thread, found it quit relaxing for a change.

/Henrik

henrix72se

Missed to post my progress.

The building and complete layout is finished now. At least as far I want it right now.

Already started on the next layout, but more about that later.

Here is a few pics on the finished layout.

/Henrik