• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Advice to proceed on this model

Started by ravi1234, March 07, 2016, 11:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ravi1234

Dear Modellers

I am from India basically into bonsai and copper wire miniature furniture. After seeing the pictures enclosed herewith i could not resist my temptations of doing this model. As being a nowise into modelling of this type. i am posting this thread for suggestion. One thing i am sure about is i am going to make this brick by brick after seeing the availability of molds (unfortunately not in our country) either i have to buy from http://www.dioramadebris.co.uk/ or make the molds my self. being new need your advise on should i use 1:12 to 1:48 which mold will be ok for this project. Thanks in advance. the pictures are from bonsai empire website

lab-dad

Having done brick by brick I would suggest going BIG!
If you have the room and can afford to go 1:12 then by all means.
If space is limited go 1:48.
You could also split the difference and go 1:32

Good luck!

-Marty

Chuck Doan

Will your model be outdoors? That could affect what material you cast your bricks from.

I have liked the idea of combining miniatures with Bonsai, and making them from materials that would last as long as the trees and letting them weather naturally.

Have fun!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Carlo

Hello all, I just came across this website, which supports all sorts of combo's between Bonsai and modeling.
Check it out at  http://miniscaping.com/
Carlo

ravi1234

Thanks for all  your valuable informations

Gordon Enquist

Hello Ravi

Would like to suggest 1/24 scale. That would allow you to include outdoor garden rail products and automotive items from AMT or Revell.
Cheers Eh!

JohnTolcher

Hi Ravi
This sounds awesome! I love Bonsai, but never been able to keep one alive for very long.  :-\

Maybe a cardboard mock up in the scale you prefer would help you decide.
Cheers
John in Australia

Lawton Maner

Keep us posted on your progress.  In the larger scales, the techniques one uses come closer and closer to how craftsmen do it in the real world, so if you get stuck on a piece of your project, go and watch how its done in the real world.

ravi1234

Hello all

Almost after eight months gone with looking how to make the bricks and commencing the project. The bricks i have used are terracotta bricks and electric kiln fired. I tried to build the wall with cement mortar but it was brittle and falling apart tried 1:5 to 1:2 Cement / sand ratios. So moved on to m seal posting the pictures here for your comments and suggestions.

Regards