• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Hetch Hetchy #6 or 9 work truck 1911 Packard Two Ton Truck.

Started by Scratchman, February 18, 2016, 02:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

Hetch Hetchy #6 or 9 work truck  1911 Packard Two Ton Truck. 1:16 scale

Hetch Hetch had two of these trucks number 6 and 9 and converted to rail operation with pony trucks, and under body turntable that allowed them to be turned anywhere on the railroad.

The plans I'm using for the 1911 Packard Two Ton Truck. are in the March-April 1991 Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette. The one photo I have of the work truck has a end dump bed with a cable pulley lift on both sides. The photo is in the May-June 1991 Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette. The photo was taken in the Sierra Nevadas east of Groveland, California.  Photo collection of Ted Wurm.

Hetch Hetchy Railbus #19in the Jamestown Roundhouse This rail bus is a White truck not a Packard , but the pony truck and the under body turntable are similar. I have a few photos of the pony truck and very little info on the turn table dump bed and cable hoist.

Gordon Birrell

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonbirrell/

Seattle Dave

Could you please share what year of the issues of the Gazette you are referring to?  Also a page number for the photo you reference please.  Thanks.

Dave
Dave VanderWal

Scratchman

lab-dad

WOO HOO Another truck!

I guess it's time to start a thread about my 1920 Oldsmobile truck...........
I'll do it this weekend :-\
Cant wait to see what you do with yours Gordan!

-Marty

Scratchman

This photo shows the summer work table that sets in front of my fire place with drawing on a 18 inch X 22 inch sheet of graph paper 8 squares per inch, on top of a mat board work surface. The drawing,.. I started with a top view of  the frame  and a side view from the top of the frame down to the track. I will add the drawings of the other parts as the model moves forward. The black parts between the two frame sides  is a jig to hold the differential, spring mounts and tension bar when connecting them to the frame. To glue the frame... On these wood parts I flood the joint with thin CA glue, so I add a sheet of wax paper between the drawing and the frame parts. I use weighted down blocks of wood to hold the frame straight and square when gluing. The 3/8 inch  wood channels is from Northeastern Scale Lumber Co. At the back of the photo is a drawing of the pone truck The wheels for the pony truck are Russ Simpsons wheel sets with a modified axle, and detail on the hubs. The rear wheels... starts out with a two piece core, (1) cannon wheel casting # OM 301-1 from Ozark Miniatures (2) ¼ inch slice of 2 O.D. inch piece of tubing from Plastruct. For the thread I use two layers of 0.020 inch X ¼ inch styrene strip glued to the core . With a circle cutter  I cut 0.030 inch styrene rings for the front and back and I added detail on the front and back of the hubs. .Also at the back of the photo rail section base and a jig for making  the springs.

This photo showing a close up of the jig.

At this point I have to make up with no plan or drawing  what the parts looks like. The gazette plans  has limited info. on the brakes, transmission and engine. I only have the one photo of the dump bed and hoist and the under-body turn table. 

Gordon Birrell

Ray Dunakin

Great work, and very interesting to see how you set it up.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

Gordon, your rear end looks great!  ::)  sorry - I couldn't resist!

I love seeing everyone's bench (even when you clean up before the picture!)

It is amazing even with the internet how few images there are of these old trucks.

-Marty

Scratchman

Thank guys for your comments.
Here's a photo of the painted pony trucks and the drive wheels along with some other parts. I used the jig at the bottom of the photo to form the arm rest supports.

Here's five photos of my progress.

Gordon Birrell

finescalerr

Bill Gill

Another interesting choice and excellently executed model. It is going to look super when finished.

greenie

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32