Westlake Publishing Forums
March 31, 2020, 01:00:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:     REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Av Paulista outside MASP  (Read 3398 times)
nk

« on: January 07, 2016, 05:06:27 PM »

About 8 years ago I visited MASP (Museum of Art Sao Paulo) in Sao Paulo, Brazil for work. It is a pretty amazing modernist building situated on Avenida Paulista

I was fascinated by the Portuguese style paving (you see this a lot in Lisbon) in the median strip of Av Paulista and decided that I had to make a model of it

but was a little intimidated by the prospect of how to actually replicate this in scale. After thinking for many years about it, I decided to bite the bullet and get on with it

I made up a drawing based on my photos and measurements

and started roughing out the form on a base

And then I tracked down some small terrazzo marble chips and experimented embedding them in plasticene

And then once I worked out the kinks tried with some black milliput. It took about 30 mins and a pair of tweezers to do 1" square which is pretty reasonable and I am satisfied with the results (no weathering yet)

when compared to the real thing

When I looked on Google maps I noticed that the median strip has been repaved and all this amazing paving no longer exists.
Thanks for looking. More updates soon.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:12:28 PM by nk » Logged

You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/
Ray Dunakin

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 07:33:11 PM »

Very cool, interesting project! It's too bad the prototype has been destroyed.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakinís World
Gordon Ferguson

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 12:49:48 AM »

Very interesting and neat solution.

I too have been interested in replicating this type of pavement , although mine will based on some Lisbon pavements. I notice that the Lisbon pavements use much more regular sized & shaped stone and for this reason I have used Fimo clay extruded through some shaped dies  ......... Will post some pics later

This is a typical Lisbon pavement

* image.jpeg (44.53 KB, 263x350 - viewed 778 times.)

Gordon
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 02:12:48 AM »

Not half bad, Narayan. -- Russ
Bill Gill

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 07:55:06 AM »

Narayan, interesting in the third photo down how the white "pattern" comes and goes. Looks like another neat scene. You seem to frequently select locations near museums, is that coincidence?

Gordon, that walk in Lisbon also looks like it will be an interesting project too.
nk

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 11:17:21 AM »

Gordon the Lisbon project looks fascinating. I am interested to see where it goes. Please post some pics.

Thanks Ray and Russ

Bill, you are right I do a lot of streets outside museums. I work in an art gallery so I often travel to museums all over the place, and the buildings are almost always very impressive. It is a destination, so people get drawn in and rarely look at what is around as they approach. So part of what I am doing is a slightly perverse  ground staring just outside some of the most amazing collections of art.

You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: