• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Wooden ore cars

Started by Hauk, February 15, 2014, 04:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Hauk, that is terrific! You picked a great day to shoot outside to compliment your model.

Ray Dunakin

Great shot of a great model!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Sami

It's very nice model !

Hauk

A little postscript on the ore cars. The article made the cover of the Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modeling Review. I know, you should not blow your own horn too hard, but even my wife thought that getting your model on the cover of NG&IMR was quite cool!

This is a quite nice magazine, I recommend checking it out.

Here is a  larger version of the cover shot:

Since last time I have added airbuses to the cars. I got a tip that a German modeller made brass castings for glad-hands that could be fitted with tiny magnets so the hoses can be coupled. I think it is a nice touch.

Even if I have not posted much lately, I have been quite busy in the workshop. I am trying to master the lathe, the goal is to make my own wheel sets. I have worked out how to make tyres, now I have to stort working  on machining brass castings and assemble complete wheel sets.

The wheel profile is Proto:48, made with a ProtoCraft profile tools.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Bill Gill

Hauk, Congratulations! Good cover shot.
What size are the magnets in the glad-hands?
Your tyres came out well too.

finescalerr

Your model deserves every bit of recognition it gets. It and the rest of the cars are most satisfactory. -- Russ

Hauk

Thanks for the encouraging comments as usual!

The magnets are 1mm in diameter  and 1mm heigh neodymium magnets. You get them on eBay, they are quite affordable.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Ray Dunakin

Congrats!! Your model is incredible and very deserving of the cover!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Congrats, Hauk! More than well deserved. The only give away in the cover shot is the brassish shine ariund the buffer. What a luck you're able now to make your own wheels. This is something!
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Hauk

Quote from: Hydrostat on November 26, 2017, 01:49:39 AM
Congrats, Hauk! More than well deserved. The only give away in the cover shot is the brassish shine ariund the buffer. What a luck you're able now to make your own wheels. This is something!

Thanks!
You are absolutely right about the brass shining through. Have give them a little workout with a cotton bud and some blackening.
Regards, Hauk
--

Design-HSB

Hauck,

telling you what a great modeler you are would be an understatement.

So the question is, do not you even like to tell how you made the tires?
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal