• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

SP Narrow Gauge #18

Started by Dave Fischer, September 27, 2015, 10:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sami

It's very nice and the work is impressive !

Barney

Not sure about crossed eyes it makes my eyes water - lovely stuff + stunning
Barney

Dave Fischer

Thanks AGAIN, one and all! I'll get some how-to drawings together as soon as I get some work out of the way. I do have a higher resolution photo of the open-rim wheel, but it showed me where I needed to do some clean-up work... I'll do another soon! Both of these handles are 0.2" in diameter (5mm) so showing them a whole lot bigger reveals way more than will ever be seen in real life. More to come!   DF 

Dave Fischer

Ah, back again! I tried to get some better shots of the valve handle, but I seem to be at the edge of my camera's capabilities and even shooting in sunlight was no better. The fact that it is painted black doesn't help much, either. Anyway, I have put together some drawings of the construction process which should frighten the sane modeler away, but realize that this was only ONE very visible valve handle and worth the effort...    DF

Dave Fischer

Well, it never fails... putting together the drawing of the process inspired what might be a shortcut (not much of one) which I DID try successfully. The picture of the second piece looks EXACTLY like the first one, but it needs a bit of fuzz clean-up so I'll just post the drawings right now.    DF

Bill Gill

As crazy as that seems, the results prove it was worth it!

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

I agree. If you do something, do it right. -- Russ

Dave Fischer

I might add-- if you do something, be ready to do it over! Getting it right, to me, is more important than just getting it done.   DF

Design-HSB

Nobody is crazy here, I think we all just keep pleasure to do things the other for completely impossible. Thanks for the directions.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Chuck Doan

And thanks for the nice documentation!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Not so much crazy as brilliant!   :)

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Dave,

thank you very much for your very precise explanation and the effort you put into both - explanation and especially execution :o. That's some fine result. Much appreciated!

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Royce

Hi Dave.  You do beautiful work.  But the work you do can only come from fastidious measurement/photos of the prototype.  I too have been to Independence a number of times.  They sometimes ask me if I know "the other guy" that's building a model of #18.  Now I know who it is . . . you !  We might be able to fill in gaps in each others source material (photos, measured sketches, etc) so if you need anything let me know.

My next "need" is to finish the digital models of the drivers so I can have masters made in brass.  Pacific Locomotive works is doing them.  When I get them done I'll have a rolling chassis, as per prototype.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

royce

Dave Fischer

Royce-- I'll be watching for progress photos of your #18 as well! What a beautiful little engine... What scale are you working in?

As to my research, I have used only the photos published on the Carson and Colorado website, augmented by about a dozen photos I took when passing through Independence in 1992 (on my way to the IPMS Nationals in Seattle). I have not actually measured the real thing, but over many years have devised a method of proportioning details from photographs if a few critical dimensions are known. I am leaning heavily on three good books, a single photo out of a fourth, and bits of information from odd sources. In one of the books, there was a reproduction of the Baldwin erection drawings of #9 that showed the dimensions of the frame (same as #18) when it was built for the N.C.O. in 1909. Another fantastic source has been eBay and other auction sites, of all places, where I found good close-up photos of marker lights, Pyle National headlights, and chime whistles that were up for bid.

I, too, am now working on the drivers-- I am almost done with the built-up styrene masters that will make the molds for epoxy castings. As I mentioned in earlier posts, there will be no contracted, 3D printed, commercial, kit, or found parts used anywhere... much more fun to make them myself!

Progress may be slowed for a while as I just found the the IPMS Nationals will be in Phoenix (two hours away) in 2018 and I will be working on a model that can be finished in that short (!) time. Several more years to get the #18 ready!

I'd be glad to share information, insights, and observations. Let me know if you come hit any roadblocks!  DF