• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Carter Bros. Combo boxcar

Started by lab-dad, July 26, 2015, 01:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

When I decided to construct a boxcar for my 1/16th scale Railroad I wanted something unique but common (yea, I know). My research led me to the Carter Brothers Combination car. Many articles, plans and images have been published pertaining to these cars. I liked the versatility of the car since I would likely only have one on my pike.

Like any project I started from the ground up. Since there are no 1/16th scale 3 foot gauge trucks are available I had to get creative. I ended up with trucks designed for 7/8th n2. I widened the axles, made new bolsters/spring planks and replaced the single springs with dual. I ended up with a truck that has 24" wheels and a 3'4" wheelbase. I also did not like the large diameter wheel bearings so I turned them down to match the axle dimension.

One of the key characteristics I love of a "Carter Car" is the star on the journal box lid. I knew there was no way I could machine even one master of this, so Sketch up to the rescue! Many of you saw this on the SU thread.

While waiting for the strip-wood, metal and castings for the project I started on the frame. I had some basswood stock so I ripped it down on my table saw. I wanted as faithful as possible reproduction as I could get. I made mortice & tennon joints for the side and center sills using my Sherline mill and table saw.

Trussrods were bent up using a jig and checked in the frame.
I will eventually add threaded ends (1-72) to them and the correct looking hardware so they will be "functional".

Spacers are used to keep the crossmembers where they should be.

More soon. There's a long way to go............

-Marty

Chuck Doan

Looking great! Too bad all that joinery gets hidden, but at least it does actually function.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Wow not one comment out of 30 people looking what a bunch of duds.

As usual your scratch building amazes me with ever new project.

Excuse me Chuck just posted also.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Probably my favorite boxcar and your model will be outstanding. You may recall I built a 1:48 Carter Brothers inspired boxcar from from styrene and paper and used the same underframe jig to build a flat and gon. I will be really interested in your progress. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Marty, Very creative making the trucks, and the frame joinery and construction is top notch!

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

Thanks guys!

A couple more progress shots;

I drew my plans based on all the info I collected and had them laminated. Then I built a jig around the plans and cut spacers for the vertical posts.

Once I got all the structure in the right place I installed the interior sheathing. I left a couple long across the doorway for strength while building. Exterior sheathing will come later, much later.....

Cutting the diagonal braces;

The diagonal braces must also be notched so the truss rods can pass through them at one end. Kinda hard to see but this is a .0465" bit making a grove in the center of a 1/8 x 1/4 piece.

I also drilled and installed the 1 mm (scale 5/8") truss rods. The rods go into the frame and the end cross rods keep the ends on. Roof rafters were cut and sit in the header notches. I'm trying to make the construction and joints as close to the real one as I can.

It's pretty amazing – and cool how strong the framework is now!
More soon – I hope
-Marty

Mr Potato Head

Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Sami

finescalerr

Do I sense inspiration from Volker and Helmut here? -- Russ

1-32

great miniture wood work
cheers kim

Barney

Speechless - super stuff !
Barney

NORCALLOGGER

Beautiful work Marty,
Seems like Carter cars are relatively unknown in the general modeling
community so it is always a pleasure  to see a project like
yours coming to fruition.

In case you haven't seen it here is a great film on the history
of the Carter Brothers and their car building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpxjg34gJV0

Looking forward to seeing the progress of your project.
Rick

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Design-HSB

Very good carpenter working in the model.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal