• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

flat pack in 1-35 scale and dapto dogs.

Started by 1-32, June 25, 2015, 03:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

hi all .
well i have really gone back to the drawing board as you might say.my water on Dapto was really getting on my nerves.it was getting dusty and loosing its transparency a bit of a mess so off it came plus the wooden retaining wall.
i want concrete but it always does not work i have tried and tried but always looks like you are trying too hard.
so
i will try this idear.
make a form out of cheap cardboard from the craft shop.get some thin wire this represents the expansion joints in the cast concrete cover with plaster[i use cornice cement fast drying and really sticky.now this is the good bit just when the plaster is about to go off pull out the wire.result a random joint that is fractured.also at the same stage bend the whole cardboard mold this will result in more fractures.what a brute fracturing concrete slabs in your bare hands.variations are different gauge of wire and placement of wire.now for the detail and water.
cheers.

Hydrostat

That's some smart idea. The result looks very good. Reminds me of broken U-Boat dugouts. Or more dovish: Some 20 years ago I've seen some machines for removing old concrete motorway lanes. Was some kind of a wheel loader with a winch to raise and then let fall down a big vertical weight with a sharp edge. Result looked very similar.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

1-32

hi volker how are you.
yes this idear has legs.there are a lot of tricks that can be applied my example is really beat up.i am using it for the new sea wall on Dapto.one piece of info that i forgot is when you do all your cracking it can become fragile.what i do is paint the surface with water based white glue and leave it overnight.
cheers kim

1-32

hi all.
Dapto
well not as big as the earth quake in New Zealand but nearly, there has been a few changes.
the sky the clouds have been painted i like artist oil paints they give you a extended drying time so you can play around with color and shape.
with my last post i showed a example of concrete using plaster this has been used on the  edge of the dock.steel piles have been added.the old wooden one removed.
the water before was getting on my nerves it was getting very cloudy and loosing its gloss.out it came.i repainted the base again with artist oils and then used a super glossy, 2 part resin.detail around the edges will be added.
so till next time all the very best from kim.

finescalerr

1-32

hi russ.
it is getting there.
there are a few more idears that i want to try.
the space between the buildings.
some sort of finish line  on the left hand side bottom level.
rigging on the crane.
detail barge.
oil spot front single track.
a bit of rolling stock.
and a lighting rig this bit will be fun because unlike most lights that run along the front edge this unit will run along the length of the model.it will be screwed to the top of the back board.
talk soon kim

Hydrostat

Hi Kim,

Quote from: 1-32 on November 19, 2016, 01:09:05 AM
the space between the buildings.

that came to my mind, too. I'd rather insert a closed gate or something with a little distance to the background to have an optical barrier. Painting any kind of believable horizon to the background would be tricky at this place.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

1-32

hi volker.
i like it,maybe a wire gate,high and a bit off the backboard.
cheers kim

Carlo

Hi, Kim -
This is becoming a great diorama, but I have one criticism; the tree and foliage in front of the upper level seem crude, and detract from all the rest of your excellent modeling. They also clutter the space too much, drawing my eye away from the details. I hope you'll take these comments as constructive, because I greatly admire your work.
Carlo

1-32

hi carlo.thank
you for your thoughts -interesting we will see how it looks when i  finish the detail at the front of the display.yes carlo very constructive finescaller is tops for good criticisms i look forward to it.
cheers kim

1-32

Bill Gill

Kim, A very colorful Christmas card with the red & white stripes and green algae :) Best to you too !

finescalerr

One of your better diorama layouts, Kim. And, since we go back to about 1994, you know I've seen most of them. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Excellent! I especially like the growth on the old anchor.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

detail_stymied

a great gift to see this pulled all together
s.e. charles