• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

In-ko-pah RR: Dos Manos depot

Started by Ray Dunakin, May 20, 2015, 07:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Way back when I first envisioned this depot, it would have been one of my first buildings on the layout. I used an antiquated 3D modeling program to create a couple renderings of what I had in mind:

However, at the time I decided that I should wait until had some more experience with structures, before attempting something as relatively complex as the depot. I'm glad I waited, because I know a lot more about what I'm doing now, than I did then. I will be using different materials than I had originally planned to use.

Today I put together a crude foam core mockup of the depot and placed it on the layout, to help me get a feel for how it will look and fit into the town. The center part of the building will be two stories. Both that section, and the west wing, will have peaked roofs covered with Spanish tiles. I decided to add an east wing which will be an open, shaded waiting area. This will have a flat roof supported by arches. Here are some photos from various angles:

What do you think?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

darrylhuffman

Ray,

I think this is going to be a great project to work on.

Your design looks great to start with.

Lowes has some stone sheets that might work well for your outside situation.

They are too large for 1/48th but might work well for your scale.

They are blocks and can be found in the grouting and tile areas.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

darrylhuffman

Ray,

Here is a link to the stone blocks I referred to:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_255450-93840-20-656_1z0z33v__?productId=4351917&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&Ntt=tile

or search the Lowes website for:

Anatolia Tile Split Face Beige Travertine

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

TRAINS1941

Nice mock up.  Can't wait to see the building begin.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Bexley

I need to pay more attention here. I just noticed the Hotel Torgo. In Dos Manos. Must be fate.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Bexley on May 31, 2015, 02:11:27 PM
I need to pay more attention here. I just noticed the Hotel Torgo. In Dos Manos. Must be fate.

tHe MasTeR wOuLd aPprOve!     :)

Ray Dunakin's World

Bexley

I met Mike briefly, once. I was a courier for several years, and I had to deliver a package to Best Brains. Mike signed for it. When he handed my clipboard back, instead of saying thank you, I said "HAI-KEEBA." He laughed.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Chuck Doan

Nice start Ray.

I haven't seen that movie, but I know I would enjoy the Mystery science theater version.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Lawton Maner

Looks to me like Harry Potter meets Santa Fe.

Bexley

Quote from: Chuck Doan on June 01, 2015, 06:41:52 PMI haven't seen that movie, but I know I would enjoy the Mystery science theater version.

Yeah, I wouldn't really recommend watching it any other way. It's not "so bad it's good." It's more "so bad it physically hurts."
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Chuck Doan

I found the MST version online. I hope that is the worst movie ever made. It was even hard for them to make jokes.

So now I will shudder when I see your Hotel Torgo Ray.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Bexley

I believe it's the only movie the Mads have ever apologized for.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Ray Dunakin

I got sidetracked a bit into another project:

Recently I needed to build a small wooden shack using Sintra PVC foam board, to be featured in an article I'm writing for Garden Railways. At the time I didn't know where it would fit into the layout. Eventually I decided to put it in the town of Grandt Cliff. Until now the only other structure I'd created for that site was the miner's cabin (featured in the last Modeler's Annual). This will be an old shack which has been converted into a sandwich shop, called Serenity's Sandwich Shack.

The town site is at the base of Grandt Cliff, and was undeveloped. To prepare the site, I had to chisel out some of the rocks and mortar near the base of the cliff. I built up a foundation for the shack, starting with a section of miniature stone wall made of real rock and mortar. I also used some small slabs leftover from a previous project:

Strips of foam core art board were hot-glued in place to make a form, for extending the foundation:

Mortar was poured into the form, then shaped and leveled. The cavity in the foundation is to hold wiring for the building lights. A brass tube acts as a conduit. Another tube provides drainage:

Eventually there will be two or three other buildings at this site, including a RR depot. So after pouring the foundation, I also began pouring part of the slab for the platform of the future depot:

I added a small slab to one side of the shack's foundation. This will be part of steps leading to the shack:

Here's a shot of the unfinished shack, temporarily in place on the foundation:

A similar shot, with the more work done on the porch. The porch and shack are built as two separate pieces to facilitate painting. They won't be glued together until after both structures have been painted:

And here's a shot of the entire town site, located below the Cliffside Mine:

Enjoy!

Ray Dunakin's World

Sami

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin