• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Getting a wet look for oil and grease?

Started by 5thwheel, May 19, 2015, 06:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5thwheel

What is a good way to get a wet look of oil or grease?  

Bill
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Ray Dunakin

Depends on what you're putting it on, but I generally like to use gloss acrylic medium with appropriate colors mixed in, just enough to tint it.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

I have used Floquil High Gloss. Light coats, bring up the gloss slowly so it doesn't look thick. Test on something first.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

In my big scale stuff I use real oil!  ;D
Actually gun oil because it has such a low viscosity.
I do paint the appropriate colors first or use the same technique Chuck uses.

-Marty

marc_reusser

I always use the ABT-502 "Grease/Oil" oil paint....it can be thinned and diluted  with turpentine , and applied in thin layers to get the sheen, opacity and multiple ring/spot appearance on surfaces, as needed. I also it with  or apply it onto pigments to get that old dirt coagulation oil and grease look. I find the color to be pretty spot on for the real thing.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

5thwheel

Thank you all for your suggestions.  Marc, what is ABT-502 "Grease-Oil" paint. I am really back in the woods as far as modern paints are concerned, my days of paint ended with Floquil. I rarely have opportunity t graze the local hobby shop and magazine section. Is there a source, magazine or such with information on the modern paints?  I try to browse here on the forum but I guess I don't ask the right questions in my searches.

Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Chuck Doan

BIll, Google Abteilung Oil paints. That's the brand. I have also mixed black and brown oil paints and mixed in a bit of very fine screened dirt. I hope to show some results soon!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

If in the states, ABT-502 products are available on-line through Dave Younquist at "Last Cavalry Hobbies"  in Detroit. He's a great guy with outstanding service.

Here are two pics of wet oil using that product (as well pigments and finely sifted dirt and hemp for the dryer/caked areas.

M-Works

5thwheel

Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

5thwheel

This is a 1908 Faoirbanks- Morse & Co. kerosene can with wooden plug just finished today. I presently do not have the financial ability to buy new paints (living on Social Security) but I played around with what I have on hand.  I used Scalecote #2 grime dry dabbed on down the front.  A very fine touch of rottenstone on my finger in wet paint for texture and topped off with clear fingernail enamel (stolen from my wife). I had a heck of a tie photographing the can because it is so dark.

Got better shots. Kerosene has been spilled on the top from filling and down the front from use.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

marc_reusser

Lovely little can.
Yes, unfortunately it is difficult to see the effect because of the size and lighting.

M-Works

5thwheel

Maybe this a bit better; I am very limited to camera, light and set up.  I elevated the can on a box and maybe that helps some.  The moist oil is subtle any way as it is kerosene.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

lab-dad

Well I like it!
And I love all the tin work!
Marty

Ray Dunakin

Very nice! Looks good sitting on that box.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Looks good. Can smell the kerosene from here.