• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Queensland Miners Cottage 1:24

Started by JohnTolcher, May 07, 2015, 08:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnTolcher

After the grass is placed but before the paste dries I used a shaker to sprinkle an extra fine mix of the seived sand and talcum powder over it. Leave it to dry 12 hours then blow away the excess, and tease out the tufts.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

I wasn't happy with the colour of the grass so I added some dirty grey and brown colour to it. This was a wash made from artists Gouache watered down with soupy water. If it's too strong, the paint can be removed with a damp cotton swab; Gouache remains water soluble after drying.

Leaves and branches were attached to the diorama using small amounts of Acrylic Matt Varnish.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

I've finished working on it for now, I think at some time in the future I will add the remains of old gutters and drain pipes. Here is another photo taken outside in the fierce North Queensland sun.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Image taken inside.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Cheers
John in Australia

finescalerr

A truly beautiful and remarkable job.

Your previous links don't work. According to my software the Photobucket link is no good (the reason I continue to ask everyone to post images, not links). If you linked the most recent photos in the same way the entire thread will become useless soon. I would hate for that to happen.

If enough of you ignore my request this forum could become useless and possibly someday disappear.

Russ

JohnTolcher

Thanks Russ.

Sorry mate, but I certainly haven't ignored you. If you go back through the topic you'll see all relevant images are uploaded, as you requested. It takes a little work to get them small enough to do this and yet showing enough detail and context, not an easy task. That's why I also like to include linked images that are bigger, and not constrained by that upload size limit. It may be that the links fail but all smaller images should remain making the topic usable.

Cheers, John.
Cheers
John in Australia

finescalerr

I know what a pain it is to size and post photos here, believe me. I also know links often result in failure after a few months. Many modelers on this forum do superb work and everyone suffers when images disappear.

We active participants tend to keep moving forward but thousands (I'm told) visit the forum and don't necessarily head for the newest thread. I know how annoyed and frustrated they must feel because I myself have gone back to old threads and found the photos gone.

Guys, I'm not trying to be a nag. I simply want to preserve your work but I can't do it alone.

Russ

JohnTolcher

Sorry Russ, let me restate this:

ALL relevant images are uploaded in this thread. Go back and check. The linked images are only some extra 'finished work' images, unnecessary for the flow of the project and basically irrelevant.

I've been doing this for some time, that is: I've been uploading ALL relevant images to the forum, in the threads I create. I'm probably one of the few members here who does. So why am I getting reamed out about it?
Cheers
John in Australia

Design-HSB

John, I find your diorama great and it is a real asset in Finescalerr Model.
But also good to know that remain with us these outstanding images.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

JohnTolcher

Thank you Helmut.

I should not have lost my cool about this, my apologies to you Russ and all who are reading this. I should not have linked any images, be they incidental or not. I know the frustration that comes when you find the all important photo missing.

Thanks and cheers, John.
Cheers
John in Australia

Bill Gill

John, Thanks for another very handy Step-by-Step on the jute weeds and "dirt". Glad the photos are here on the forum for future reference.