• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Queensland Miners Cottage 1:24

Started by JohnTolcher, May 07, 2015, 08:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnTolcher

Hi folks, or perhaps G'day

This is new ground for me, it's a diorama I'm working on. A lot a of scratchbuilding but at least it's mostly square joins and flat surfaces. I love the style of old timber house you find here in North Australia, built about a century ago. This will be a miniature of a small example.

Here's a ref image showing typical features: open frame external walls, verandas, corrugated iron roofs, on stumps.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Large houses are usually known these days as Queenslanders, smaller ones Miners Cottages.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Small timber for this was hard to source here and I was not sure I could make it do what I wanted so I opted for styrene. I painted some styrene test pieces first to be sure there was a chance I could pull it off. Looked okay to me so I carried on.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

I started with the sash windows. The chopper was very handy.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

The Dupplicutter seemed pretty expensive for what it is, so I made my own version which has been okay.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Grain was added using course sandpaper, splits were scraped into the members with a hobby knife at right angles to the direction of motion. The resulting fuzz was cleaned up with a kitchen scourer.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Chamfers in the weatherboards were scraped into the styrene. Using my homemade dupplicutter as a guide.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

At this stage most of the 'wood work' was done.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

It's not going to be a whole house just one side as a backdrop to the side yard.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Most of the main elements are not glued, but held together temporarily with wire dowels. This image also gives an idea of the size.

There's a bit more to show, but I haven't resized the images yet. So that's it for now, cheers.

John
Cheers
John in Australia

finescalerr

Most satisfactory. Very neat construction. But how on earth will you create the (rather tricky) finish with all that exterior framing? Is every part pinned at this point? -- Russ

Barney

Being a plastic type man - I just love it - superb plastic engineering
Barney

Ray Dunakin

Great job! Interesting prototype too.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Very nice construction and convincing wood from styrene.

How do you align the holes for the wire dowels? I have a couple buildings (HO scale) that I'd like to pin the facade onto the thin sidewalls with wire dowels so that the front can be removed to see & photograph the interior, but can't drill through the face of the facade into the sidewall and don't have a drill press to align measured marks on back of facade and edge of sidewall.

marc_reusser

Fine I'll  repeat myself...."just fab and lovely" :D
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works