• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Heavy Narrow Gauge in 48th scale

Started by narrowgauger, March 30, 2015, 05:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

narrowgauger

Hi Guys

interesting 48th scale model of a Baldwin Mikado built in 1907 for BHP Pty Ltd's Whyalla "Tramway".  This very large 2-8-2 was at the time of construction the largest locomotive on the Australian system, even more remarkable when considered that this was on a 3'6" gauge tramway.

the model is completely scratch built in brass with a minimum of commercial parts and to absolute scale with it's attendant problems of clearances etc.  I was fortunate in having available original Baldwin construction plans for the engine.  However the tender has to be approximated using photo's due to the complete absence of drawings.

Model runs on 22mm track gauge to match 48th scale for 3 foot 6 inch prototype gauge.

painted with Tamiya & Vallejo acrylics to as "new" condition in original colours.  Minimal weathering to meet customer's request for a well maintained almost new loco.

construction time around 160 hours.

enjoy
BernardS

Chuck Doan

Another beauty! There is a lot of work in that.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

That is mind-boggling work! Stunning!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Quote from: narrowgauger on March 30, 2015, 05:44:45 PM
Hi Guys

interesting 48th scale model of a Baldwin Mikado built in 1907 for BHP Pty Ltd's Whyalla "Tramway".  This very large 2-8-2 was at the time of construction the largest locomotive on the Australian system, even more remarkable when considered that this was on a 3'6" gauge tramway.

the model is completely scratch built in brass with a minimum of commercial parts and to absolute scale with it's attendant problems of clearances etc.  I was fortunate in having available original Baldwin construction plans for the engine.  However the tender has to be approximated using photo's due to the complete absence of drawings.

Model runs on 22mm track gauge to match 48th scale for 3 foot 6 inch prototype gauge.

painted with Tamiya & Vallejo acrylics to as "new" condition in original colours.  Minimal weathering to meet customer's request for a well maintained almost new loco.

construction time around 160 hours.

enjoy
BernardS

Fantastic!
Have you got any tips for getting Tamiya and Vallejo to stick on brass?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

narrowgauger

Hauk

I use an automotive acrylic self etching primer on all brass models.  Primer paint is thinned at least 35% with lacquer thinners and airbrushed onto the model.

preparation includes around 10 minutes in a ultrasonic cleaner using a mix of 40% ammonia and a small amount of dishwashing liquid in the water.  Tank temperature around 50C.

hope this assists

BernardS

Hauk

Quote from: narrowgauger on March 31, 2015, 06:10:00 PM
Hauk

I use an automotive acrylic self etching primer on all brass models.  Primer paint is thinned at least 35% with lacquer thinners and airbrushed onto the model.

preparation includes around 10 minutes in a ultrasonic cleaner using a mix of 40% ammonia and a small amount of dishwashing liquid in the water.  Tank temperature around 50C.

hope this assists

BernardS

Yes, Thanks a lot!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

narrowgauger

Hi Guys

the model took second place in the Steam Locomotive category out of 16 entries in the category at the 12th Australian Narrow Gauge Convention in the last few days.  Was pipped by one point for First Place.

the consolation was that I also managed to achieve Best in Show & First in Freight Rolling stock with a lash-up of my skips and a couple of work cars (photos will follow in a few days), Best Passenger Rolling Stock with a couple of "Parlour Cars.  Also managed second in Diesel Locomotives and a third in Steam loco's.  So, all round a great convention and great to see that the Mikado rated so highly.

have fun
BernardS

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Bernard,

that's an impressive prototype and the modeling is likewise.

Quote from: narrowgauger on March 30, 2015, 05:44:45 PMconstruction time around 160 hours.

You seem to be a fast hand ... is that including the CAD part of construction?

Very impressed. And congrats for the convention result!

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Hauk

Quote from: narrowgauger on April 05, 2015, 06:40:01 PM
Hi Guys

the model took second place in the Steam Locomotive category out of 16 entries in the category at the 12th Australian Narrow Gauge Convention in the last few days.  Was pipped by one point for First Place.

the consolation was that I also managed to achieve Best in Show & First in Freight Rolling stock with a lash-up of my skips and a couple of work cars (photos will follow in a few days), Best Passenger Rolling Stock with a couple of "Parlour Cars.  Also managed second in Diesel Locomotives and a third in Steam loco's.  So, all round a great convention and great to see that the Mikado rated so highly.

have fun
BernardS

Congrats, well deserved.
It seems that there are a lot of excellent modelers down under.  The quality of the models shown at a Australian Narrow gauge convention seems to be at least as good as a US convention. Thats not bad considering that the population of Australia is about 7% of the US population!
Regards, Hauk
--

finescalerr

The model quality at the U.S. convention has dropped over the last decade while that in Australia seems to have risen. -- Rus

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works