• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

2 Foot gauge tractor loco in 1/16th scale

Started by Chuck Doan, March 02, 2015, 06:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Thanks for the info Dan! More to think about.

Yes, Volker, that was the drawing that made me decide to build. Opened it up and went Uh-Oh. I really liked the look. On the steam loco that donated the wheels, the bearings were inboard of the wheels. I also wondered about why they were open, but the are. On the rusting remains you can clearly see the Babbitt material.

I have seen several other Fordson locos without any brakes. I am told that once you disengaged the engine, the friction of the worm drive brought it to a halt. I have also seen Fordson tractors pulling heavy trailers without brakes.

Thanks Rick, since there are no sanders either, I am assuming there weren't any real grades on the line. I also see no provision for adjusting the chain slack as seen in factory built engines. A very rudimentary design that apparently worked for many years.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Design-HSB

Hi Chuck,

Congratulations on a great challenging project.

Clear to me is to see to see in the drawing that the steering gear is a gear lever goes.
Therefore, the gears are shifted with the steering wheel.
The shift lever to be seen for the reversal of the direction of travel.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Barney

According to the "Fordson Manual " it says "For normal operation the transmission brake was provided ,but from 1929 a hand brake was available which operated internal expanding bands in drums fixed to the rear wheels " The Steering wheel I would think is just there for something to hang onto ! Only the tracked version used the steering wheel to operate the the brakes .
and yet another one with no brakes - drive was from the gear box through a shaft
Barney

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

mad gerald

Russ,

Quote from: finescalerr on March 03, 2015, 11:55:21 AM
Gerald, I like those rusty (rustic?) critters you linked to. If you or anyone else wants, I have a variety photos of small Plymouths and a collection of critter photos.
... thanks for your offer - I really like the small Plymouths, but acutally even they are "too big" for my purposes ... imagine the french diesel critters I discovered only measure approx. 170 x 60 cm ... like a bath tub (more or less)  ;D

Cheers

TRAINS1941

Chuck I can't believe I missed the start of this thread.

Guess I was buried in snow so I couldn't see over the top it to see your new adventure.

Great CAD drawings.  Looking forward to the progress on this.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Krusty

Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Dave Fischer

Chuck-- Get me info on the wheels/tires and I'll see about making some. I recently finished a set of lead truck wheels for an SP narrow gauge #18 in 1/20... a project that will probably not go much farther, but it sure was fun to START. My wheels are cast in epoxy, which should work fine if the model will not be asked to run. You can reach me at farmall20@gmail.com (hope that's not a breach of Forum etiquette).

By the way, there is a home-grown slag train loco on display in Douglas, Arizona that has a Fordson powertrain angled through the cab floor to power the wheels. The truck side frames have the mark "Douglas, AT" (that's Arizona Territory) cast in the side, showing that it was built before 1913 when Arizona became a state. I've been wanting to get down there to get some pictures one of these days...

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on March 07, 2015, 09:18:42 AM
What was the purpose of spiral spokes??

Spiral spokes avoided fracture during shrinking process while cooling down the cast parts, when casting steel quality wasn't that good yet.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

Who else would know something like that? I am impressed. -- Russ

Barney

These are worth a look at https://slatersplastikard.com/assets/pdfs/WC-16NG.pdf They are 16mm to the foot but I think the large curly spoke Glyn Valley one would be close in diameter and wide enough
One I started in 1/16 scale but never finished -well you never know one day !
Hosted on Fotki
Barney

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

artizen

Shhh! Don't tell anyone that is a New Zealand prototype in the photo (Southland, where they get 20 feet of rain a year)!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Sami

Good project Chuck !

Barney, the beginning is very nice.

Chuck Doan

Thank you Dave for the offer! And everyone else for the information. Thanks Kevin for the picture. Definitely a good group to hang with! One could build hundreds of Fordson based locos and never repeat a design.

The internet is amazing, and I am not referring to cat videos (this time). I e-mailed the museum where these engines are kept asking if they knew of someone who might have more pictures beyond the ones posted on their site. A fellow named Terry Olsson put me in touch with Greg Stephenson who took the original pictures. Greg mentioned that he was going to out there this weekend and he would check out the brakes. Well, this morning I received some excellent pictures showing exactly how the brake worked (one shoe on the left rear axle.) How great is that!
I will draw it up and post it when I get a chance.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/