• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

$200 Cutting Tool

Started by finescalerr, December 05, 2014, 11:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

A former subscriber and rather good modeler, Bill Gill, suggested I post a link about a computer tool called a Cricut: http://trainmasters.tv/videos/2014-11-6-tmtv-november-2014-edition-bonus.

It cuts in a manner similar to a laser but it's mechanical. You load in a CAD drawing, pop in a sheet of wood, styrene, or paper up to about 0.030-inch thick and, in a few seconds (not minutes), out pops your work. Use it for structure walls with door and window cutouts, stencil lettering, whatever. If it is of interest (and it was to me), spend 7 minutes looking at the video so I can stop typing this! -- Russ

eTraxx

There is a pretty good review/comparison of various Die Cutting Machines including the Cricut Expression. The Silver Bullet is a BEAST evidently  .. at $849 .. with the 'Best Value' machine at $419

http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

finescalerr

Thanks, Ed.

Has anybody actually used one of those machines for model making? I'd like to know how practical they would be, how clean and accurate the cuts, how versatile -- everything.

Russ

Mr Potato Head

pretty cool
they have set designs, can you make or input your own ??? ??? ???
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

finescalerr

Aha! Now it gets interesting. I remember the four word law from the Wall Street Journal in the 1970s: "Ain't No Free Lunch."

Design-HSB

This had to also go so negative.
Because the machine is designed for cutting films. Been misused by modelers for scribing. That was also the limit because all parts had also still be broken. Pasty now times unfortunately the scratched parts do not break out. For board remains that there are no better as a laser.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Juke Joint

Yuriy Sklyar model. 48" long

nalmeida

Hi there guys, I have a similar machine. Mine is called Silhouette Portrait and despite being an interesting tool it really has some flaws that are difficult to overcome. Precision is the first one, when cutting window mullions precision is very important. Design have to be arranged in order that vertical and horizontal lines are cut separated and it works better with softer materials like paper which, despite being a great material, has it's own flaws.
Finally the thickness is the last drawback. I think this kind of tool is great for structures but at the same time structures use a lot of bigger thicknesses for walls etc... So, to sum it up: It's a nice tool but it doesn't substitute a laser cutter. I built this structure using the tool:

Bill Gill

There is a lot of confusion about this new Cricut cutter. This new that one Russ noted in his original post is the Cricut "Explore".

It is newer than the "Expression" that Ed listed.

It's not the embossing version that 'Juke Joint' mentioned, and his link to the negative review is a 2009 review of a different model.

Gil, Yes, this new "Explore" can take input from various sources. It does not just cut set designs on cartridges anymore. That's one of the major changes.

Helmut, The other major change on this new model is that it says it is designed to cut materials up to 0.0625 in (1.5875 mm), not just thinner paper like earlier versions.

Nalmedia, In the original video Russ posted, the modeler demonstrating the "Explore" claims that this model cuts very accurately. He says the commercial window castings used in his demonstration were a good, tight friction fit in the window and door openings he cut. He demonstrates cutting a circle out of styrene, popping it out its sheet, rotating it and pressing it back into the cut out opening smoothly.

If you can't view that video, there is some information about the "Explore" available on the Cricut website: http://us.cricut.com/home/learn/machines/explore
It says the model is built to last, how accurate that claim is, I don't know, but overall it looks like an inexpensive cutter that can use drawing inputs and cut sheet styrene up to about 0.06 in. and that sounds potentially useful.

lab-dad

May be the machine in the first video has been redesigned?
The guy mentioned it can cut 1/16th basswood and shows a shack.
Even doing multiple thin pieces and laminating for thickness seems good.

I'd also like to learn more about Yuriy Sklyar's blimp!
(going to google that now!)

That didnt take long!;

http://yurasklyar.com/blog/free-d-lz129-hindenburg-cricut-paper-model

Marty

mabloodhound

Oh, boy.   Looks like a tool I can use and I found it for sale new at $179.   There goes the Christmas budget.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

mabloodhound

After a lot of reading and research for the new Explore from Cricut I don't think I'll be getting one after all.
Although it performs like Miles Hale says in his video in Russ' post, it requires a good high speed internet connection.
The machine WILL NOT work as a stand alone off your computer.   You MUST connect to the Cricut website and work from there.
If you have dial up or a poor connection, sorry, no go.   I like to work on my drawings and would do my cutting off line.    I do not like being tied to someone's website.
Too bad, otherwise I might spring for it.
:(
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

finescalerr

I noticed that, too. It is a serious drawback. I think a laser might be a better choice but somewhere online I found a comparison between the Cricut and its competitors; an Internet connection is unnecessary with most. -- Russ