• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Boiki Class Destroyer @ 35th

Started by turtle, December 03, 2014, 08:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turtle

:D :D :D
Cheers guys, but theres a few areas that are a bit crude (inside the well) that can't really be seen in the photo's, but as said it's just an experiment and a bit rushed for my liking i.e. cold soldered where in places it should be silver soldered.
Hauk - it looks nickel-plated due to me messing around with the camera settings (not a smart choice  >:() and the brass itself is a very very low quality (bought at the scrapyard and of unknown origin) and machines totally differently to a quality brass I only use it if the parts are to be painted and for this type of experimenting.
I'll try and remember to do some photo's when I build the proper ones - just messing about seeing if I can incorporate working torpedos  :D - the first couple of experiments resulted in severe tube failure  :o.

Nick - you might not understand this bit of Kiwi humour - it's the Yeah right. -part

Ray Dunakin

Marvelous work, and a very cool looking piece of machinery.

Not being a nautical type, the only torpedo tubes I've heard of prior to this are the kind inside submarines. However, this is apparently something that sits on the deck of a ship, correct? How is the torpedo launched from the tube?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

hi roger .
good new zealand humor but it it is too early for april fool day.
i looked up the company that you quoted for your brass coating it seems that it is a private maritine research company that is more interested in preserving the eco system of the world than metal coating.shame i wanted to use there services.
kind regards kim[on the other side of the ditch]

shropshire lad

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on December 07, 2014, 07:47:45 PM
Marvelous work, and a very cool looking piece of machinery.

Not being a nautical type, the only torpedo tubes I've heard of prior to this are the kind inside submarines. However, this is apparently something that sits on the deck of a ship, correct? How is the torpedo launched from the tube?

Surely you must be familiar with Motor Torpedo Boats (MTBs) ? They all had deck mounted torpedo tubes . However , I couldn't tell you how they were launched .

Here's some info on PT109 who's crew included a quite famous person in later years ! http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Torpedo_Boat_PT-109

Nick

turtle

Nick - ya stole the link I was going to use  :D. Another term to look up is 'Whitehead torpedo'.

Ray - Torpedo are fired from the tubes by compressed air, then after a set time the actual torpedo motor kicks in while on it's journey. Very early torpedo boats had them slung to the sides and the motor was started then the torpedo released, and the other method was used by the likes of the Italian MAS, English CMB and Soviet G5 was the motor is started and the torpedo mechanically pushed off the stern with the boat then turned hard over to get out of the way. The Boiki class has three tubes - two aft and one bow tube. Easily seen on the GA's. HTH.

Kim - The Cawthron website only shows a fraction of what they get up to, luckily my neighbor is a technician there so I have the advantage of an insider. The process (still under development and soon to be patented) is a quite closely guarded secret and only due to my neighbor knowing I worked with brass a little bit he offered to use some parts for (unofficial) testing  ;). All I have been told is that the process is similar to that of aluminum anodizing  ???. Sorry I can't be of more help here but can't really ask the neighbor to do any that could jeopardize his position.       

Design-HSB

Hi Roger,

why not paint the parts in the original colors that would look in my view much more faithfully.
A durable gold-looking coating is achieved by a titanium coating that you may have already seen in drills or cutters.
Quite apart from doing but excellent detail work.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Barney

Barney

or should it be Iv lost my voice because my mouth won't close - how does this guy do It !!
Barney

turtle

Quote from: Design-HSB on December 09, 2014, 02:59:34 AMHi Roger,
why not paint the parts in the original colors that would look in my view much more faithfully.
A durable gold-looking coating is achieved by a titanium coating that you may have already seen in drills or cutters.

Hi ya Helmut, for this project it will be painted and weathered as per the original. But between now and then it's going to be a test-bed for some ideas/techniques/materials I've wanted to trial, plus as it will not be entered into any competitions I can do a number of things that the Naviga rules and regulations (and antiquated thinking) do not allow or discourage - weathering/individual prop control/working torpedo's etc.

Barney - Cheers - now you know how we feel when viewing your masterful little creations  ;).

Cheers to all for popping in. Still trying to cause myself harm with the working torpedos - 100psi is definitely excessive and bordering on lethal  :o ;D.

shropshire lad

Quote from: turtle on December 14, 2014, 06:07:51 PM
Quote from: Design-HSB on December 09, 2014, 02:59:34 AMHi Roger,

Hi ya Helmut, for this project it will be painted and weathered as per the original. But between now and then it's going to be a test-bed for some ideas/techniques/materials I've wanted to trial, plus as it will not be entered into any competitions I can do a number of things that the Naviga rules and regulations (and antiquated thinking) do not allow or discourage - weathering/individual prop control/working torpedo's etc.

Barney - Cheers - now you know how we feel when viewing your masterful little creations  ;).

Cheers to all for popping in. Still trying to cause myself harm with the working torpedos - 100psi is definitely excessive and bordering on lethal  :o ;D.

What are you using for the explosive in the torpedo ?

That would cause consternation on the boating pond if a few highly prized masterpieces were mysteriously being sunk without any warning !

finescalerr

Perhaps. On the other hand nobody but you would launch them, Captain Nemo! -- Russ

Chuck Doan

That is gorgeous work Roger! At 100 psi, you won't need explosives on another boat!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

turtle

Nick - No explosives required, plus nanny state won't allow fun things to be used near the public  :-X, and as Chuck said - at 100psi launching pressure it has a fair amount of inertia behind it. Have finally tracked down some slim-line 60psi capsules (one shot bike tyre fillers) so when they get here the experiments shall restart. Just redesigning the striker for a shorter action.
Chuck - Cheers.
Hopefully I'll get the prop shaft support brackets and redesigned rudder soldered up tomorrow.   

marc_reusser

If you're looking at the bike tire inflator CO2 cartridges. There are some miniature/small CO2  "cans"...that are used for inflating mountain bike tires (these need greater volume and less pressure) they are as long as the CO2 cartridges and about twice the diameter....I need to check if I have on in my packs, but I believe they are 40 psi (most mtb riders ride at or below this psi) and they have a screw/threaded end for an adapter...one can use a trigger release fillers on them....meaning when threaded on and sealed properly, you can start and stop the air flow as needed.....I am sure this concept could easily be adapted/modified by someone with your skill and ingenuity, to create a release valve that would allow multiple uses/shots from this container.

Note also that the standard threaded CO2 cartridges do come in lower psi.....and also can be attached to a trigger filler.

If all else fails, what about a simple small can of compressed air such as those sold for airbrushing or cleaning keyboards (I know the airbrush cans have threaded mounts....so maybe in combination with a trigger mechanism, some sort of flow restrict or pressure valve, we'd do the trick.

I know the latter  is a large heavy and clunky option....but just throwing it out there.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

turtle

Cheers Marc. Yep I've been trialling the 'roadie' 100psi CO2 cartridges (still have a bunch laying around now I'm "retired" from competitive cycling).
In trials I've actually been using the slimline cartridges as the torpedo  :o with a short throw striker at the rear of the torpedo tube. Using my simplistic thought method (K.I.S.S.) combined with being too lazy to build a piping system (and all it's inherent engineering problems) this appears to be simple and workable method.
I have machined off the threaded area so it press fits into an O-ring inside the tube  :P, holds it firmly enough for the striker to do it's job.

Anywho, best I get started on some deck hardware so it can start to look like a "floaty thing".