• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

5/16" or 8mm O.D. Steam gauge face?

Started by lab-dad, September 01, 2014, 10:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

I am puttering along on the 1/16th Shay.
Once I accomplish something worth sharing I will do so.

In the mean time I need to create the artwork for the steam gauge face.
It needs to be 5/16" or 8mm (5/16 is preferred).
Searching the 'net provided no good images.
I also know printing it out on my home printer is not good enough.
I was thinking of printing a photograph scaled to the right size to keep the quality up.
I hate to buy a set of decals for one gauge

Any suggestions, ideas or a good image and how to use it?

-Marty

5thwheel

Marty, I have had good luck with drawing the item several times oversize and then reducing it to scale on my printer.  Print on low gloss photo paper.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Barney

Try the Gn15 Tome -issue 6 - May 2007      http://tome.gn15.info/06_May_07.pdf
lots of nice gauge faces
Barney

lab-dad

Barney,
Thanks! Those are great
But unfotunately they look like crap when i print them.
I even tried at 50%...?
Marty

Terry Harper

Hello Marty,

I am a lurker and have been following your Shay project with great interest. A couple of years ago I etched a full size gauge face for a Lombard Log Hauler. This was an exact copy of an original. Other than the Lombard text this is a typical Ashcroft locomotive etc. gauge face and measure 6-13/16" O.D. I created the artwork in AutoCAD. It would be very easy for me to modify it to be a "generic" gauge face and scale it to meet your needs if you think it would work for you.

If your interested I can send you a PDF or JPEG.

Best regards,

Terry

Here is the finished etched gauge face:

Terry Harper

And..... here is the art work cleaned-up so its a generic locomotive gauge face.

The original I had to go-by was un-finished brass but I have seen quite a few that were silvered brass (like a clock face) with black letters. Based on the size of the original plate scaling it to 1/16 would make it about 7/16" O.D. That little bit of increased size might help with the printing.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Terry

Ray Dunakin

Marty, what resolution is the image you're using? What kind of resolution can you print at?

When I have to print out a very small, detailed image, I make a copy of the original image and reduce it so that it retains the highest possible resolution. (This takes some fiddling with the options.) Then I print as if I were making a photographic-style print, with the printer set for "best quality".

Of course there are still limits to how well a cheap printer such as mine can reproduce something very tiny.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

TERRY!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT IS GREAT!

I was initially thinking you did the gauge in scale (not 1:1)
I guess I need to mess with my printer instructions....

Mr. Potato Head is working on a decal for me so may be this will work for him, and save him some trouble!

Thanks a lot!

-Marty

Terry Harper

No problem Marty,

If you go the decal route you could also do a real silvered face if your gauge body is brass. Its a simple process that involves rubbing on a solution which leaves a microscopic layer of electroplated silver.

http://www.jaxchemicals.com/jaxshop/shopexd.asp?id=76

Here is a motometer face I etched and silvered a while back.

Barney

Bin your printer - something wrong - I only have a Cannon Pixma iP4700 printer and reducing the size of the large face to 5mm across is still readable !
Barney

finescalerr

The printer is only half of the equation. The other half is the paper. In some cases ink also is a factor (like with decals). -- Russ

Mr Potato Head

I can print them, as far as the black type and white face that's easy, for the brass face I can lay down gold first then print black, but I think it would work better if the decal was clear and put over a brass disk, oh well he'll have to play with it, it's the details he's good at
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho