• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Inkjet Printed Cardstock

Started by finescalerr, August 21, 2008, 05:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Here's a 24 foot narrow gauge boxcar I just completed. It has inkjet printed cardstock sides, ends, and flooring. Scale 1:48. -- Russ

finescalerr

Another photo:

finescalerr

And a third.

-- Russ

marc_reusser

Russ,

Very Cool (Quite adequate as you say ;D). In reviewing these after my discussion with you, I think I have come to the conclusion, much of what I commented on may be caused by the lighting (direct sunlight).

I think this is a great result from all your hard work/experimenting with this stuff.

You should be very pleased.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Marc, you're only saying that because I fixed up the photos to look more like the actual model. (I burned in the overexposed parts.) But I am only partly pleased with the model. I will not be completely pleased until I can equal the quality of your work.

Now if I can only figure out how to add 375 three-dimensional n-b-ws to any model using nothing more than a computer and Photoshop! -- Russ

searoom

Have you experienced any fading due to light exposure?

Garry

TRAINS1941

Russ

Very impressive!  Looking forward to meeting you in Portland, and sitting in on one of your clinics.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Garry:

I have built about five inkjet printed cardstock models in the past three years or so. Fading or discoloration never has been a problem. But I leave no model, printed, stained, or painted, in direct sunlight or under fluorescent lighting. Under typical conditions (incandescent bulbs) I would estimate my models will last longer than I will.

Jerry:

If you do attend a clinic, be sure to heckle me and make a lot of wisecracks. Otherwise it will be pretty boring. After all, everything I say will appear in the December Modelers' Annual only the lucky readers won't have to look at me the whole time; there will be lots of photos to study instead of a live cadaver droning on about trivia. Should you introduce yourself, you will discover I am much more exciting in print. But infinitely cuter in person. Ask any beautiful girl wearing a thong bikini if you don't believe me.

-- Russ

chester

I am impressed with the card stock structures Russ but I'm more interested in attending the clinic particularly if you will be having a beautiful thong bikini clad girl there to answer questions.

Jerry Barnes

Archer Dry Transfers has some texture/bolt patterns you can use.

John McGuyer

!cnU

Immensely inspirational!

Nephew

Brian Donovan

Also just catching up with this.

Russ,

Is the the cardstock impressed with the board siding pattern or is that an optical illusion from the printing?

-Brian  (from his corner)

finescalerr

Nothing on my cardstock models is phony. Some siding is scribed, some consists of individual boards. All trim is add-on. All doors and windows are built up from laser cut subassemblies. The only difference between my paper stuff and my wood or plastic stuff is that I can print artwork on paper but not on the other materials. -- Russ

jacq01

Russ,

for my diorama I plan on the 2 modules opposite the mill several buildings as seen in the photo.

It might be a nice comparisson to have a cardstock building in between the wooden ones I have to build.
  The problem is,  I do not have a inkjet color printer nor photoshop  and no direct photo's of comparable walls.
  If you could provide some printed stuff, I can scribe/emboss and built up the building and incorporate it in the scene.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

Jacq, I would be honored to send what you need. We should discuss such things as board width, color, degree of weathering, trim, and texture. If you actually use any of my artwork, I will modestly take credit for building the entire diorama (including the new dam and, of course, all the machinery inside). -- Russ