• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Wooden ore cars

Started by Hauk, February 15, 2014, 04:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

After a rather serious distraction in H0 I have finally started on some cars to hang behind the twin blue tincans presented in another thread.

I have probably shown the prototype in another thread, but I am at loss finding this thread so here it is again:

A lot of time have been spent testing different 3D printer services for producing the bodies, but I have finally realised that I want the cars to be strictly metal and wood as the prototype. Some of the parts will be etched brass, others cast and a few will be  milled on a CNC-router similiar to the Fridtjof has shown in another thread.

So far I have milled end beams for three cars in 2mm brass:

Note the brass Shapeways shown in another thread. In my opinion it looks acceptable in this somewhat larger context, and I think it will look even better on the finished car.

-Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Ray Dunakin

Very nice, and a good-looking prototype.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on February 15, 2014, 05:08:18 PM
Very nice, and a good-looking prototype.

Thanks for the response!

It was about time that I started this project, I had the wheels for the project custom-made over ten years ago!

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Juke Joint

Quote from: Hauk on February 15, 2014, 04:51:31 PM
After a rather serious distraction in H0 I have finally started on some cars to hang behind the twin blue tincans presented in another thread.

I have probably shown the prototype in another thread, but I am at loss finding this thread so here it is again:

-Hauk

Your thread is here: http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=979.0 and glad your back at it. Looks wonderful Hauk!

Philip

Hydrostat

What an interesting prototype! I like the position of the wheelsets close to the wagon's ends. Your modeling looks very good, especially the fine wheelsets/flanges. The spokes are white metal? How did you make the insulation?

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Hauk

Quote from: Juke Joint on February 15, 2014, 05:57:37 PM

-Hauk

Your thread is here: http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=979.0 and glad your back at it. Looks wonderful Hauk!

Philip

Thanks for the link and the kind words! So many forums, so many threads... Its easy to loose track!
Regards, Hauk
--

finescalerr

There is only one forum and it surpasses the others: This one!

Your car and wheels look very good. I am glad to see you back at work on this model.

If you continue to post macro photos of your fingers, it might be prudent to invest in a manicure ....

Russ

Hauk

Quote from: Hydrostat on February 16, 2014, 12:14:10 AM
What an interesting prototype! I like the position of the wheelsets close to the wagon's ends. Your modeling looks very good, especially the fine wheelsets/flanges. The spokes are white metal? How did you make the insulation?

Volker

Unfortunately, The wheelsets are not made by me. They were custom-built for me by Erik Olsen, a very talented Danish model builder.

He has written a very comprehensive article on wheel building:
http://www.modelbaneteknik.dk/model/vogn/hjul.htm

Unfortunately, this article is only available in Danish, but try google translate.

There are several other interesting articles on his website, many of them in English:
http://www.modelbaneteknik.dk/model/index-e.htm

Regards, Hauk
--

Peter_T1958

Hi Hauk

Your car and and in particular your brass coupler look very good. Even if I was not that much exited with Railroad stuff until now, projects like these draw me more and more into their spell...

A lot of time have been spent testing different 3D printer services for producing the bodies, but I have finally realised that I want the cars to be strictly metal and wood as the prototype. -Hauk

Your words are close to my heart. Sometimes for me it isn't possible to do so, but I prefere the "just as you would with the original-way" (Sorry, I found no better word :-\).

Cheers, Peter

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Chuck Doan

Excellent start. And a great looking prototype!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hauk

One of the things I have given a lot of tought is how to construct the wooden boxes for the ore.
As already shown on this forum I have tried two different 3D printers and a lasercut box.

Not satisfied with any of them, I thought more and more about building them board by board. But an interesting detail is that the prototype used tongue and groove. 

So today I tried to mill some T&G  into Kappler O-scale 1X6.

First, I made a pulling gate out of some scrap Corian and brass.

Why two slots? Well, the first was not thight enough, so I narrowed the second one a little bit. Still needed a piece of tape to get it right.

Then I milled the T&G´s by pulling the stripwood through the gate. I could mill the groove in one 0.5mm (0,02") deep pass using a 0,4mm (0,016")endmill. I was a bit conserened that the tiny endmill would break, but with the spindle going 32000RPM I could hardly feel any resistance when pulling the stripwood past the mill.

Here are the results:

I think I will go strictly wood and metal for this project, so the hardware for the box will probably be brass castings.

(Sorry about the thumbs Russ!)
Regards, Hauk
--

artizen

Sometimes this forum just gets scary with the level of artistry achieved!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Gordon Ferguson

Now that is impressive.

Can some of us put an order in for some T&G, please
Gordon

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World