• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Aveling Barford Road Roller ....... 1/24 scale

Started by Gordon Ferguson, February 12, 2014, 10:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad gerald

Quote from: finescalerr on September 28, 2015, 11:05:32 PM
Do I have to stand in the corner now?
... yup, but be careful not to rouse Nick from hibernation ...  ;)

JohnTolcher

Quote from: 5thwheel on September 28, 2015, 02:59:55 PM
John, what kind of hairspray do you use?

Bill
I don't mind personal questions Russ. Regular hold for my usual do, extra hold for those special occasions when I want extra height, for a really outrageous style. Or a really windy day.

Seriously, for effects on models I've used perhaps 7 or 8 different types. I think it's better to go for ones labelled fine mist, I believe these give a smoother application. But apart from that they all work well, these are the ones I'm using now. The aerosol on the left is just the generic no-name el-cheapo brand. The one on the right is in a pump action bottle, you can just unscrew the lid and pour it into the airbrush for small areas.

This project is pretty much finished, I just have to compress the images and I'll put them up. Cheers
Cheers
John in Australia

5thwheel

Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

shropshire lad

Woolworth's hairspray ? That is either a very old can or the company is still going in Oz , as it closed down in the UK quite a few years ago .

Nick , still in the corner after all these years .

JohnTolcher

Hi Nick, I think Woolworths would be the biggest supermarket chain here. Yep still going.

As promised, here is the finished Roller. Apart from the effects shown on the videos, rust stains are enamels. Oil stains are just oil paint thinned with enamel thinner.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Cheers
John in Australia

finescalerr

Most satisfactory. Yes, most satisfactory indeed. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

That is just absolutely fantastic paint/weathering work! The faded/oxidized appearance is spot-on, The scratches, rust, oil/grease stains, and scorched metal all perfectly rendered!

A very fitting finish for a great model!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

John, Spot on! and rust and scratch and grease and oil and fade and....

JohnTolcher

Thanks for your comments, and thank you Gordon for allowing me to have a go at the paint job. Fantastic scratch build IMHO!

Cheers
John
Cheers
John in Australia

shropshire lad

Quote from: JohnTolcher on October 14, 2015, 07:17:13 AM
Thanks for your comments, and thank you Gordon for allowing me to have a go at the paint job. Fantastic scratch build IMHO!

Cheers
John

John your painting took Gordon's model to a whole new level . And you even managed to cover up all the gluey fingerprints on it !

Nick