• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Aveling Barford Road Roller ....... 1/24 scale

Started by Gordon Ferguson, February 12, 2014, 10:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Gordon Ferguson

Been working on the rollers, decided the machine will have been recently laid-up so there will/should light rust on the rollers etc

Still can't make up my mind if I like or can live with rollers, will review when I have some more paint on main body
Gordon

Don Railton

Excellent job Gordon. 

To be a superior modeler with styrene you have to be named Gordon, apparently.

Don

finescalerr

Ain't seen ya here fer a coon's age, Don! -- Russ

voyager

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 18, 2014, 11:39:16 PM
Quote from: voyager on February 18, 2014, 08:54:07 AM
> I presume the scarifier is/has been used regularly - so would the tines be rusty...? ;D

Re. the rusty tines: steel when used/scraped/worn, will very quickly develop a thin layer of fresh bright orange rust...over time if the steel is not re-surfaced/scraped/worn the rust will darken through a series of shades, till it reaches a dark purplish-black-brown color. Light orange-ish rust tones occur only at freshly rusted/oxidized areas/surfaces (or leach from joints/pivots/hinges/panel joints/rivets/etc.  that have moved causing the metal there to be continually resurfaced/scraped)

I bow to your knowledge of rust formation.... ;D
Andrew

If it has wheels, I'll have a look!

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks for the compliment Don, appreciated.

Still working away on this, did get a hint that a well known bike rider from the sunshine state and world renowned rust expert was a bit concerned over the roller wheels,  so backtracked on them trying to get some more variety onto the surface.

Not there yet but think it's going the right way for my needs

Gordon

Barney

Now I know no one listens to me - but I think the answer to your problem Mr Gordon is darken the roller sides up a bit or as the professional people say give it a "bit of contrast" and I know you said it has been laid up a while and the following shots show more than "laid up a while" but there is not so much stark difference between the rusty rim and the wheel/roller sides - But after saying all that I think it all looks a superb finish as it stands.
Barney
the "Pox Doctors clerk"
    Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Barney

But this is how it should have been painted - its one for the WD fans
Barney
Hosted on Fotki

Gordon Ferguson

Wish you had posted these last couple of shots earlier, would have made detailing the scraper bars much better.

Got all the dimensions of the OD one , may have a go at it , but in 1/35 .... To go with my Ford tipper

Is that Lynda.  ;D

p.s. Can I borrow some paint?
Gordon

Don Railton

Quote from: finescalerr on February 23, 2014, 01:08:09 AM
Ain't seen ya here fer a coon's age, Don! -- Russ

Hi Russ!  I retired in Jan. and I'm spending some quality time with my laptop.  I may even buy a real camera this winter.

Regards, Don

Ray Dunakin

Don, congrats on your retirement! I hope this means you'll get to do more modeling.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Don Railton

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on February 24, 2014, 06:24:58 PM
Don, congrats on your retirement! I hope this means you'll get to do more modeling.

Thanks Ray.  I have been spending time cleaning out the office and plan to start on the cellar but I also plan to build some models and post on Russ' blog.

Regards, Don

JohnTolcher

Hi folks, the roller has flown across the globe, landing on my bench. It is my privilege to carry on with the painting of this very nice bit of scratch building.

Images can be found of these in various conditions, but I had to make it old and weary (as usual.)

Here the painting process is perhaps a little over half finished. Small parts are left off for now otherwise I will just break them.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Cheers
John in Australia