• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Gas Mechanical Bash

Started by marc_reusser, July 26, 2008, 01:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

The Portland model contest was a humorless farce. It had only four contest quality models. Most voters had absolutely no idea of what constitutes such a model and seem to have cast their ballots for the most abortive caricature in each category. Marty was not judged by his peers but by a mob of unschooled, tasteless idiots and fools. His Plymouth was head and shoulders better than the next best entry. You may appreciate it in the December Modelers' Annual should you be willing to part with the cash to obtain a copy.

I really don't fully understand how the narrow gauge hobby has degenerated into what it has become. But -- mark my words -- things will get worse. And many manufacturers gleefully are reinforcing the concepts of the lowest common denominator.

If the above remarks offend you, you don't belong here.

Russ

danpickard

As a long time lurker in this neck of the woods, I've finally got around to joining another forum!  Russ, Marc, I thought I was being a bit critical myself, and I guess was being patient and waiting for a good variety of pics to come in from the NNGC, so I initially reserved judgement.  Going back a few years ago, I always looked forward to getting the wave of attendies pics rolling in, and getting my dose of modelling inspiration for another year.  I must agree, Marty's piece looked superb, even from the limited few pics I have seen. 

Russ, pretty accurate call...only a few competition level pieces judging by the pics coming through.  Makes you wonder if some of those dioramas by the likes of Nolan, Revelia, Greenberg & Doan have scared builders off!  I thought models like that were meant to make you work harder!!  I thought the dioramas in this event were pretty average, looked like 2 of the structures were fairly decent though...if only one of those guys stuck their structure on a base covered in dirt and called it a diorama, they'd be laughing.  Like I said, early days yet, I'll hope there's a few more pics to come, but at this stage, I'm glad I saved my airfare and stayed home in Australia.

Nice Gas Mech by the way Marc, I'll get off my box now...

Dan Pickard

jacq01

Russ,

QuoteThe Portland model contest was a humorless farce. It had only four contest quality models. Most voters had absolutely no idea of what constitutes such a model and seem to have cast their ballots for the most abortive caricature in each category. Marty was not judged by his peers but by a mob of unschooled, tasteless idiots and fools.

this is not only happening in the US. Think of the discussion regarding proto's in the logging tread.
A good freind asked a german modelrailway magazine when an article about my layout will be published.
The answer was negative as it was not representative or of interest to the german modeller as it did not contain  material from german manufacturers.
I stopped giving clinics as most of the time was spend in showing the participants how to to use the needed tools and basic materials. The will to learn facts and the use of tools and materials has disappeared somehow. Many believe they are experts in a topic when they have seen a "how to" DVD. 

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum. Great to see you posting. Hope you will be contributing your thoughts and models.

I wouldn't hold my breat about anything better showing up from the NNGC Contest.  :-X ;D

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

"I wouldn't hold my breath about anything better showing up from the NNGC Contest."

Maybe; maybe not. Next year's convention is in Colorado, traditionally a locale where the best modelers strut their stuff. Besides, this year's contest was the worst in fifteen years or more. Finally, remember what a major problem it is getting a model through the Homeland Gestapo clowns at airports and that deters many from bringing good models across the country.

Overall the level of modeling at the NG convention gradually has been declining but the contests still produce more than four or five good entries. If the next two years are as dismal as this year, I'll agree with Marc and throw in the towel. While I do expect to be disappointed, I think we will see some better stuff next year.

Russ

marc_reusser

Well back to modeling and the original subject of this thread  ;) ;D

Made some progress & finally finished the bonnet:

Detailing was done using .005, .010 and .015 sheet styrene. The white .018 & .023 dia. rivets were made from .005 & .010 styrene using a Waldron punch & die set. The handles are .015 brass rod, with the weld fillets being made using Model Color (Vallejo) #400 Plastic Putty. Latch bolts are from Bronco Models. Metal & brass parts are leftovers from AFV detailing sets.

The headlight is from the scrap box (I think its Delrin, possibly from Grandt)..it was recessed into the resin front (as you can see I was a bit off with the first hole I drilled, and thus required some putty work  :-\ ). The interior of the headlight was also drilled out in the back to represent the socket location. A two step hole was drilled at the bottom of the front, to later accept the crank handle reciever stub.

On the top, two holes were drilled on center into the resin where the gas and water filler caps will go (a third two-step hole was drilled off to the side for the future stack location). The bonnet center was then added using .005 sheet styrene, into which were punched two holes using a micro-Mark punch & die set. The punched holes were .030 smaller than the drilled holes, this gave a lip to give the impression/illusion of a thin sheet metal bonnet with hollow space below.

Next it's on to the cab area.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Krusty

That's certainly an improvement on the original kit. Are the Bronco catches from one of their wingnut sets or lifted from a kit?
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

danpickard

Subtle improvements do a hell of a lot to the overall picture.  I think the thing I enjoy the most about watching your bash work Marc, is how you use the styrene, which in this case makes it dead obvious what improvements you've made  (great from an educational point of view).  When the Mr Surfacer comes out, there will be no evidence of how far this little thing has really come.  Good stuff, not that I expect anything less from yourself.  On with the cab, I wanna see the paint job...

Dan Pickard

lab-dad

Nice to see some modeling back on this thread.
How about making a mold of this thing when you get done?
Would be a nice model then!
And I'd have something to move my 1/35 mexicano cars with <VBG>
Now get back on the cab!
-Marty

TRAINS1941

Marc

Good to see you moving along Marc.  Waiting to see the finished product painted.
I see that as you started posting the forum has come alive once again.  Hoping to join you over the next year as my good friend Mr. Jones gets me through some of the rough spots.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

TrevorCreek

Marc,

Great job at making a sow's ear into a silk purse!!!  If this comes out half as good as your tractor loco it will be another winner.

Frank

Franck Tavernier

Wow Marc, nice job!

I like very much the new bonnet...

I like especially your approach of modelling, this feeling which you have, to find the small detail which goes well for next to nothing...

Freelance model are probably the best way to let oneself go, and let go his imagination and his talent!

Congratulations!

I work now too on freelance models. My last model, is a gas loco in Gn15 (1:24) based on the Magic Train gas loco frame from Fleichmann :

finescalerr

An idea to consider:

As I look at the work of modelers on this site (and others) and contrast that with the quality of some of the kits they are "bashing", I wonder why they don't simply scratchbuild the whole thing. Then everything could be as perfect and accurate as their own handiwork.

Personally, I have rarely been satisfied with the result when I modified a commercial model because its inherent imperfections or inaccuracies remain. What's more, I seem to spend as much time reworking lousy commercial stuff as I would spend designing and building a superior model myself.

So I now rely on CAD, guys with lasers and milling equipment, and people with photo etching or brass fabricating capability when I consider whether to build a model.

None of this should suggest that Marc or Franck have created anything less than gorgeous work. It's just something for all of us to think about for the future.

Russ

danpickard

Nice Franck, not sure if its intensional or not, but I like what looks like a bit of metal fatigue and beating around the panel work.

Russ,
I guess I look at commercial things that can be "adjusted", as they usually provide at least a reliable working mechanism to start with.  I personally arent into building a mech from scratch.  For someone like Marc however, who is likely to pull the motor out of a commercial piece, good point.  I have a Bachmann Gas Mech being delivered at the minute, which for $25US + delivery is hard to beat as a starting point, especially as a budget minded modeller.  If you have connections to guys with the equipment to mill and etch stuff for you, added bonus I guess.  Being a model railroader, as well as a modeller, its important to me that the thing will still move at the end of the operation.

Dan Pickard

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: danpickard on September 18, 2008, 07:04:43 PM
Nice Franck, not sure if its intensional or not, but I like what looks like a bit of metal fatigue and beating around the panel work.

Dan Pickard

Dan, thanks  for the kind words! About metal fatigue and beating around the panel work, yes and no, it's not exactly intensionnal...These blows arrived with the gluing of panel work styrene...I think it's due to the fineness of the styrene panel (.010)..I used MEK pak from Slater's, and if you put to much of MEK, styrene becomes deformed under the effects of the MEK...