• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Logging Arches

Started by NORCALLOGGER, October 27, 2013, 07:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydrostat

Rick,

after thinking a while about your construction and comparing it with the prototype I feel there's something missing: starting from the arch closer to the dozer there should be one more hole to adjust the level of the tow beam. Otherwise the complete construction wouldn't need to have joints?

Looks very impressive (the structure and your modeling  :)).

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

NORCALLOGGER

Hi Volker,
You are absolutely right on both counts.
Well actually there should be two adjustment holes in both arches for
changing the tow angle/height.
But as there is only one Cat model towing these the adjustment holes were not
a critical factor for me.
Thanks for the interest.
Rick

Max Corey

Both the Cat and the arch are favorite models.  I only have the 1/48 Brommer Cat and arch and the dozer wants a blade.  Your scratchbuilt versions are wonderful.  Now all ya need is a log to replace the clamp.  If you can model a really good looking log (difficult and rare - probably a found section of tree branch would be best) I will be bowing before your awesomeness.
A screw up on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine.

Scratchman

Very nice styrene work, can't wait to see it painted.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

NORCALLOGGER

Well, finally finished up but have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit before painting and weathering.

Later
Rick

Frederic Testard

Great work with all the tricky shapes, Rick. Styrene in good hands is a terrific medium.
Frederic Testard

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Came out great Rick! Thanks for taking the time to document the build. That is one of the tractors from the timber times article, right?
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

NORCALLOGGER

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Chuck,
yes that is one of the Cat 60's from the Timber Times article.

Still to cold outside and in the shop to paint, maybe next week.
Later
Rick

Ray Dunakin

Is the tractor scratch-built too?

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I want to see it painted! -- Russ

chester

NORCALLOGGER

Hi Ray,
Yes the Cat is mostly scratch built.  It is one of two I built a coupla years back, the other is a "dozer" and this one is a "logging cruiser" version. 

Russ,
So do I :)

Looks like I may be able to get started with the paint pretty soon as temps are starting to come up above freezing over night and getting into the 50's during the day.
Later
Rick

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: NORCALLOGGER on December 13, 2013, 04:04:36 PM
Yes the Cat is mostly scratch built.  It is one of two I built a coupla years back, the other is a "dozer" and this one is a "logging cruiser" version. 

Did you find the plans in the Timber Times? Which issue?

Ray Dunakin's World

NORCALLOGGER

Hi Ray,

I apologize for the confusion. 
I Took an Idea from Aaron over on LSC and and turned a coupla of diecast John Deere crawlers into Cat 60's and as I look back at the information it was more than a coupla years ago, Spring of 2009 to be exact,  I did a build log on them on LSC or maybe it was MLS  but anyway it is all gone now.
Phil at TimberTimes was kind enough to give me a little space in his last issue (#53) to tell a little bit about the cat 60's and how I built the models.

Later
Rick