• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/16 Diorama - Backyard Hospital Supply Railway (inspired by Lainz)

Started by mad gerald, October 02, 2013, 12:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

nice, clean & crisp!
that would be an east shape/structure to build in brass and solder.
also using some angles would stiffen it up considerably.
Mj

mad gerald

Quote from: lab-dad on December 02, 2013, 08:21:29 AM
nice, clean & crisp!
... thanks, Martin - methinks it's OK for a first attempt ...  :)

also using some angles would stiffen it up considerably.
... yeah, it will have some minor changes in it's frame construction ...

that would be an east shape/structure to build in brass and solder.
... had the same thought looking at these pics, but I guess the motor bogie powering the rail tractor will not be strong enough to move a couple of wagons made from brass ...  ::) ??? ... but I'll consider definitely a brass version (later on) ...

Cheers

mad gerald

G'evening all,

I was not really satisfied with the frame construction using flat bars similar to the ASEA loco. So this is just a short update showing the first step of the second approach.

In case I would build this wagon in 1/1 scale, I'd use rectangular tube - so I did ... using evergreen styrene rectangular tube und strips for frame and bulk head construction ... turned out to be much more sturdy! The cargo area is from styrene too, a brand new item I snatched up at my favourite architects supply online shop - comes with different types of checkered structure (in different scales), measuring 100x60 mm, thickness approx. 1,1 mm. The axles are from brass (milled), the Feldbahn wheels have a steel rim, combined with a resin core.  

Cheers

mad gerald

G'day all,

No big deal: building card board boxes from card board. Every model railroader has presumably built some boxes. My hospital supply railway will not only have laundry to carry, but also goods in boxes like disposable syringes, examination gloves etc.

I built (for testing) a packing case as commonly used for removals and some smaller boxes for use as outer package for the goods being delivered to the hospital.

The packing case in 1/16 scale is fully workable/foldable as the prototype. The outer package boxes partly still show reference lines, which were helpful cutting and folding the first boxes.
I used real duct tape (for parcels) to seal the boxes. Therefore I placed a piece of duct tape on a small piece of glass pane and cut off slices of 3,1 mm width (prototype 50 mm)

Cheers

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

mad gerald

G'day all - and Merry Christmas!

The new version of the bulk head flat car is ready - umm, well ... at least almost - apart from axle boxes. Building the frame I used rectangular tube (3,2x3,2 mm) this time - that would make approx. 51x51 mm in 1/1 scale. To me the frame seems a little too massive now, so I'm presumably gonna build another version using strips measuring 2,5x2,5 mm, making approx. 40x40 mm in 1/1 scale. In contrast of that the couplings appear to be a little too delicate. I built them using rectangluar tube (6,3x6,3 mm) as well, cutting off one side with a circular saw. To the bulk heads I added strips measuring 2x2 mm for stabilization.

Here's the bulk head flat car again in company with the CAT rail tractor (still unfinished)

Cheers

marc_reusser

I like the look ofthe tape on the boxes...very convincing; however, the boxes themselves casuse me some visual pause. The coloring is IMO to "speckled" from the paper texture, and the print is just a bit too black/oversatureated (not in scale.....ie. regarding "scale effect")
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mad gerald

... adopt, adapt and improve (motto of the round table) ...  8)

Quote from: marc_reusser on December 26, 2013, 06:22:10 PM
... however, the boxes themselves casuse me some visual pause. The coloring is IMO to "speckled" from the paper texture ...

.... ummm, well ... and I thought I was such a wise guy, using a fonts with worn effect: 321 IMPACT
May be, the speckled appearence was intensified by the structure of the very thin but a little rough card board ...  ???

Quote from: marc_reusser on December 26, 2013, 06:22:10 PM
... and the print is just a bit too black/oversatureated (not in scale.....ie. regarding "scale effect")

... may be, this was also intensified by absorbent nature of this card board, as  I reduced colour and saturation to 80 % IIRC  ...

Never mind, they only where test objects - so there is plenty of room for improvement ... may the "too black/too saturated" effect can be reduced by using brown/packaging paper (more even) being laminated to thin card board instead ...

Cheers

mad gerald

G'day all,

Believe me or not ... re-doing this took a couple of hours!

As mentioned in my posting above I laminated brown packaging paper to very thin card board (160 g) this time. So I got a smoother/more even surface for better printing results. Then I drew a whole new box (using MS PowerPoint), a corresponding prototype I came across accidentally was very helpful. When fully dry I printed my drawing on the laminated paper/card board with an ink jet, using an x-acto for cutting and the back of a kitchen knife preparing the notches for folding, sealing the boxes with strips of real duct tape 3,1 mm wide.

BTW: Printing of letters looks far better viewed with bare eye ...  :o

Cheers

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

For me the packaging paper still looks far too coarse to represent cardboard. You may try it with coloring some fine(r) paper and then printing to it or printing everything including the color of the cardboard to it. I would use thinner paper to receive sharper edges.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

What you have created would be excellent if you were somebody else. But you are you so Volker probably is right. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

mad gerald

Quote from: finescalerr on December 30, 2013, 01:03:22 AM
What you have created would be excellent if you were somebody else. But you are you so Volker probably is right. -- Russ

Russ, Volker,

Thanks for your honest feedback - yes, there's still room for improvement, but imagine: theses boxes measure 25x37 mm, the smallest letters measure approx. 0,75 mm.

I did another test print on very smooth and even drawing card board, another one on the same card board, but without bold letters - the printing result is much the same. So may be the packaging paper isn't to blame ... I guess the ink printer simply can't print so tiny letters proper. Will try another test print on a laser printer, when I get hold of one within the next days.

Quote from: Chuck Doan on December 30, 2013, 09:29:28 AM
Certainly improved! I think its pretty close if not there.
... thanks for encouragement ...  :) ... very much appreciated as well ...

In the meantime I have to choose, if I carry on with the layout itself, the wagon, the rail tractor (or another loco? ::) ) ... or else ...

Cheers