• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A snapshot in time. A glimpse of the Plettenberger Kleinbahn in 1/22.5 scale.

Started by Hydrostat, September 27, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydrostat

Added some spare items to one small shopwindow. Indeed this optician had dishes, radios, vases and so on on offer. I first had the window unlighted, but didn't like that at all.

Some 0.8 and 1.5 mm tubing, some angle section, a file an some 0.8 mm diameter bulbs led to this:

The metal parts are one pole, a 0.15 mm enameled wire soldered to the bulb and passing through the tubing is the other one. A lathe would have been somewhat helpful to get cleaner results and to thin the wall of the lamp shade, but a Dremel suffices.

This is how the wiring is hidden: small slots in the walls' top side.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Good decision to light the window. The rest of the work isn't bad, either. -- Russ

Hydrostat

The Lohmann building had a small front (or back?) yard before the annex had been erected. There was a riveted fence running around it. The picture from in between 1904 und 1910 shows it.

Wolf Dietrich Groote collection

The annex destroyed some parts of the fence. The yard is made from milled and hand formed Forex (Sintra). The wall seems to have been strengthened after 1903, when there was a derailment on the bridge. There's a picture in the  Plettenberg Kleinbahn book (yes, that's covered advertising and I'm more than related to the guy, who did the book layout).

Frithjof milled the nickel silver and brass parts and a soldering gauge. It didn't work to press the rivets because the small strips changed length uncontrollable. So I decided to solder sprigs into bored holes and round them afterwards.

This works best at 100-150 rpm.

The fence was glued to bore holes in the Forex, which had to be spackled afterwards. The Forex plates got some plaster, too.

A first washing shows where to add more or varied texture. I'll do that, when the parts can be glued to the building, which may take some more of my and your precious time.

Cheers,
Volker

Bill Gill

More impressive work, Volker. The fence is very nice and the texture and color of the concrete is just right.

1-32

Ray Dunakin

The wall and fence look great, and the rivet detail is fantastic!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

nk

The lighting in the window and the fence both work so well. Very nice work indeed.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Hydrostat

Thanks, guys.

I added the second shopwindow's interior. This will have no own light.

Right behind is the optician's workshop.

This overview isn't possible later on, only the glimpse over the shopwindow separation.

Plumbing is made from brass wire and tubes. I tinned it and then had it for some 20 Minutes in water with citric acid which gives that lead tone to the tin.

Cheers,
Volker

Bill Gill

More good stuff. Glad you took photos now from angles that won't be visible later so we can see all the terrific details.

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Doesn't it bother you to build something to such a high degree of excellence and then leave it only partly visible? Is there no way to allow access later? -- Russ

5thwheel

Quote from: finescalerr on July 16, 2019, 11:50:55 PM
Doesn't it bother you to build something to such a high degree of excellence and then leave it only partly visible? Is there no way to allow access later? -- Russ

I think I understand. It isn't the showing off but the building.

Bill H.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Hydrostat

Bill G., Ray, Russ, Bill H. thanks.

Quote from: finescalerr on July 16, 2019, 11:50:55 PM

Perception, cognition to me is a more and more interesting aspect in modeling. How realistic is a model one can take in his hands and look at from all sides? What got this to do with perception of the prototype? Which indiscreet views do we have in strangers' private rooms (as long as they don't want us to have them? I'm afraid this is getting more and more weird, but concerning cognition it seems interesting to me to limit access to rooms or items whose existence is known to the beholders. Well, maybe it's just my inability to delimit a topic. Lacking any interior picture serendipity and online investigations of comparable situations leads to what I think might have been there. What bothers me is the sheer amount of items to be built for the big shop windows and showroom. But whenever I thought something couldn't be done this was a fallacy. Time is my friend. Still.

Quote from: 5thwheel on July 17, 2019, 11:49:41 AM
I think I understand. It isn't the showing off but the building.
Bill H.

In other words.

Cheers,
Volker