• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A snapshot in time. A glimpse of the Plettenberger Kleinbahn in 1/22.5 scale.

Started by Hydrostat, September 27, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nk

This is so great. You should be adding this to the miniature rooms in the Art Institute of Chicago.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Hydrostat

Quote from: nk on January 11, 2018, 05:34:07 PM
This is so great. You should be adding this to the miniature rooms in the Art Institute of Chicago.

Haha, first I'd need to overcome my aviatophobia.

From this side of the pond the door won't be accessible later on; door handle then is only visible through door pane.

For some time I bothered about the ps business for the shop entrance's sideways show cases, including the shutter box.

The whole composition needs to be removable and I soon felt, that I was neither willing nor able to give a corresponding wooden look to the styrene parts in direct neighbourhood of a wooden door. To cap it all the edges started to loose their coloring after repeatedly assembling and demounting the entrance at the house (it slides into the walls from above).  

So i decided to start a new approach with veneer and I like the result much more.

I reused the shutter box, which won't be visible later on.

I faced an interesting challenge with the cord, which helps to close the shutter. It runs from the shutter box axle into the brass tube ...

... and then straight through the basement wall, but there was no borehole and I don't have that long drills do make a vertical bore straight alongside the building's walls. And the brass tube needed to hit that bore exactly (the black flyspeck close to the corner).

To measure and mark the right position wasn't that difficult, but again I didn't have a drill that long to bore that hole from down under (pun intended. I hope there is some ???).

I predrilled with a bigger drill as deep as possible and then glued the final diameter's drill into a brass tube of the predrilled bore's diameter to bridge the distance.

That worked. Somehow (the flyspeck is the borhole  ;D).

I'm afraid that's going to be boring to you.

And now to something completely different.

Some years ago a friend (thanks, Torsten!) gave me a lot of little clock-face lights. I still feel that no LED can bring the same light effect a bulb brings.

The lights are soldered to small board pieces, which are soldered to self adhesive copper foil strips adhering to some cardboard.

This shapes the sideward part, which is glued with CA to the rear cover of the show case.

And that's what all this fuzz was about:

Please excuse me repeating that very similar picture; it's the only one to get an idea of the radial light effect of those actual bulbs. It's nearly impossible to have both the warm light impression of the bulbs and the radial appearance in one picture, which is clearly visible with the naked eye.

Show case displays like watches and glasses to come ... I couldn't wait to add that poster at least.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

1-32

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Wish the guy who fitted your door - fitted my front door !
Excellent work - such detail
Barney

nk

What a beautiful effect. You are right, the warmth of light from the incandescent bulbs really adds to the atmosphere.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Hydrostat

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Lawton Maner

I'm glad that someone else has proved that one can extend the length of microdrills with a piece of brass tube.

On an upcoming project I need to drill a number of 0.031" holes to insert brass rod formed into rivet heads as I assemble the frame to a 1/48 scale model of the East Broad Top's Scale Test Car.  Many of the holes will be to far into the frame to reach with normal length bits. 

This reinforces my comment on another thread on this forum that there is a broad base of talent which freely shares those talents.     

Hydrostat

Greg and Ray, thank you.

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on February 06, 2018, 05:55:32 PM
Looks ready to move in. Where do I sign the lease?    :)

If you manage to move in there, there's no need to sign a lease  :D. (keep your Megaweapon out. There's only space for a ferrari).

Quote from: Lawton Maner on February 06, 2018, 07:36:28 PM
     I'm glad that someone else has proved that one can extend the length of microdrills with a piece of brass tube.

On an upcoming project I need to drill a number of 0.031" holes to insert brass rod formed into rivet heads as I assemble the frame to a 1/48 scale model of the East Broad Top's Scale Test Car.  Many of the holes will be to far into the frame to reach with normal length bits. 

This reinforces my comment on another thread on this forum that there is a broad base of talent which freely shares those talents.     

I'm always a bit embarrassed by people telling me that there's a right and a wrong way to do things. Of course there may be extra long drills available, but in this case it's just a piece of plastic to be bored. Whatever solution works is a good solution  ;). If you have a lathe at hand it's no problem to fit the bit centric to the tubing, which becomes more important the smaller the drillbit's diameter is or the more often you need to work with it.

Another shot of the wear at the floor:

I added another wooden floor in the neighbouring room, which is going to house a little workshop.

Cheers,
Volker