Westlake Publishing Forums
November 17, 2017, 10:37:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:     REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15
  Print  
Author Topic: A snapshot in time. A glimpse of the Plettenberger Kleinbahn in 1/22.5 scale.  (Read 59238 times)
Bill Gill

« Reply #195 on: June 15, 2017, 05:17:31 AM »

Looks very good, Volker.

For the putty problem, would it possible to first apply some kind of mask on the window glass that covers all but the narrow edges where the putty will be applied? Maybe a thin removable tape like Scotch removable tape. There are also very thin frisket/masking films that can be cut to size. And there are water soluble masking fluids that could be applied and washed off after the putty sets

* S-13974_txt_USEng.jpg (36.29 KB, 250x250 - viewed 472 times.)
Hydrostat

« Reply #196 on: September 18, 2017, 01:04:52 PM »

'Windows' got some kind of new meaning to me.

Cheers,
Volker

I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.

I'll fly it. I'll make it.
1-32

C:\Documents and Settings\Kim\My Documents

« Reply #197 on: September 18, 2017, 04:33:17 PM »

HI VOLKER.
as usual perfect,
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #198 on: September 18, 2017, 09:31:31 PM »

Yeah, I'm afraid I agree. And it's good to see you back in action. You've been gone for several weeks. -- Russ
Ray Dunakin

« Reply #199 on: September 19, 2017, 01:03:18 AM »

Amazing work!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakinís World
Bill Gill

« Reply #200 on: September 19, 2017, 04:56:51 AM »

So many tiny bits that look just right, and the big pieces do too.
Allan G

« Reply #201 on: September 19, 2017, 09:31:52 AM »

Great windows!!! Allan
Hydrostat

« Reply #202 on: September 24, 2017, 10:31:39 AM »

Thanks, guys. I'd really like to have more time for modeling at the moment, but life takes it's toe.

The barely visible upper window runners are bent from some 0.3 mm steel wire and soldered to a tiny brass piece to be drilled afterwards for having a functional window. The frame's hinge is a angled 0.4 mm brass rivet as the window's guide pin is (this one not angled).

A set of frames for one window consists of those lasered parts:

Outer frame from two layers, 2 and 1 mm diameter. And there's piece of sanded wood for the lowest frame bar:

The house has some 20 windows.

Window frames consist of two 1 mm and one 0.5 mm layers. With the additional 'glass' layer of 0.5 mm it hits the outer frames measurements.

Then there are some additional pieces like the handles and hinges, which are FXD printed. Some 0.5 mm steel wire fits to the grooves to simulate the latch bars.

This is how the terminal bar guides and hinges come from the printer. Hinges are hollow and have a middle predetermined breaking point to have the opportunity to make them functional. At least one or two ...  Tongue

Runners, brackets and latch eyelets are lasered from thin cardboard.

Cheers,
Volker

finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #203 on: September 24, 2017, 12:47:42 PM »

Okay, I give up. I'll never build a model even close to this and several others I've seen here. I think I'll just sail paper airplanes .... -- Russ
Bill Gill

« Reply #204 on: September 24, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »

"...life takes it's toe." . You're very lucky! Often life takes an arm and a leg (Which by the way some people would give to be able to build models like you do!)
Ray Dunakin

« Reply #205 on: September 24, 2017, 07:23:01 PM »

Impressive!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakinís World
Hydrostat

« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2017, 12:30:59 AM »

Okay, I give up. I'll never build a model even close to this and several others I've seen here. I think I'll just sail paper airplanes .... -- Russ

I never understood why you try to build models anyway, according to the numerous beautiful girls in thong bikinis, each eager to cater to your every whim?

Wait - I didn't get a joke?

"...life takes it's toe." . You're very lucky! Often life takes an arm and a leg (Which by the way some people would give to be able to build models like you do!)

Glad I have ten of them  Smiley. To continue complaining about first world problems: I didn't find an opportunity to have the 0.5 mm glass screen lasercut for a resonable price, that I kindly got from German Schott Glas company. I used acrylic glass instead and meanwhile I'm sure glass would have brought along a bunch of problems according to it's fragility. Well, the screen is packed in a huge (repeat: huge) parcel right behind my desk and I'm afraid I'll have to dispose of it  Undecided. Modeler - clutterer - what's the differnce?

Cheers,
Volker

Greg Hile

« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2017, 09:31:00 AM »

As the new kid on the block I haven't seen your work until just the last few days. I have to agree with the others: incredible, fantastic, impressive, and most satisfactory! You have also given me some ideas on stuff I am working on, like the cellar windows with bars for my jail project (there will be 49 such windows).

Like you, and for the reasons you mentioned, I also try to integrate CAD-based design into my work (I use SketchUp). Another advantage is that if I want to modify my design, I can simply save a copy of the digital file and have at it without fear of messing up what I want to keep or having to recreate it, and, like you said, it facilitates the use of 3D printing and other technical modelling that requires vector files. I have also been experimenting with my daughter's Cricut machine to cut out strips of shingles, strips of thin styrene, et al., which also require vector files that I create in Adobe Illustrator and SketchUp.

Looking forward to seeing more!
Hydrostat

« Reply #208 on: Today at 04:03:12 AM »

One of the shop windows seems to have been replaced for adding a shutter. A good opportunity to work with the 50s' shop windows appearance and shiny brass. The upper screen is painted black on the back, Jack. The big one won't be installed before finishing all the coarse work at firts floor and the facade.

Cheers,
Volker

Design-HSB

Klosterstollen

« Reply #209 on: Today at 05:38:48 AM »

Hi Volker,

there should be a roller shutter in the roller-shutter box, which you can lower.
That would make this great model incomparably.

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15
  Print  

Jump to: