• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A snapshot in time. A glimpse of the Plettenberger Kleinbahn in 1/22.5 scale.

Started by Hydrostat, September 27, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nk

Volker the kerbs and cobble stones are spot on. I am still toying with the idea of using individual stone chips for a paving project, but you have got me rethinking my plans.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Hydrostat

Hauk, Russ, Ray, Narayan and Marc (who is that guy?), thanks for your response.

Some time ago Peter_T1958 asked me why I've done a CAD drawing for a building I'm going to have selfmade by hand tools. First of all this helps to understand the building's structure. It allows to detect mistakes in hand drawn prototype plans, which may lead to some nasty surprise during assembly. Then there's an option to have digitally manufactured parts like 3d prints and so on. Not to mentoon milling.

I loved work with rigid foam at 'quiet earth' project but was always worried of it's touchiness. I asked Frithjof to mill the facades from Forex, which is the European/German counterpart of Sintra board in the US. It seems to be the best in between being stable as well as lightweight. Well, I've surely mistaken to send the complete CAD file of the building to Frithjof:

Aside of the facades he sent me all the inside walls.

The building is going to be a mixture of Forex, Polystyrol and ABS. Most of the protruding parts like scuncheons, cornice and so on are made from several ps strips and boards. The first floor front side scuncheons are 3D printed.

The building's annex housed a garage. According to the available plans there must have been a bricked up former window, which will be visible looking through the maybe opened or openable garage roll-up door. Frithjof gave me some of his MDF milled brickwork and some single (real) bricks for bricklaying. I decided for the latter, because those rather neat/clean clinker walls are more typical for Germany's northern regions. Above all I wanted to show some selfmade, maybe unprofessionally bricked up window.

Ther's a pit with lateral wheel deflectors in the garage.

The boot scraper at the jeweler's shop front door is soldered from some brass strips, wire and angle section.

I tested a 1940s wallpaper design for the private entrance area at the annex. I'd be happy to get some hints to designs from that period and maybe some good vertical shots or even files of those patterns, if anybody can help?

That's going to be the germane frontdoor, cut from some veneer sheet.

Forget the pane. I decided to have another one. That simply looks badly done.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

Hydrostat

Ray Dunakin

Fantastic!!

I like the ripple glass in the last photo of the door. What did you use for that?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Quote from: Hydrostat on March 04, 2017, 12:31:58 PM
New pane:

Cheers,
Volker

The pane looks great. A far better choice than the first one.

But one thing puzzles me. The door looks very thin as there is no relief on the side shown in the picture. This could mean of course that all the relief detail is on the other side, but you would think some of it would show through the glass pane. What is the cross-section of the door like?

I might be speaking nonsense here, but I just had to ask...
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Hydrostat

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on March 04, 2017, 06:24:52 PM
I like the ripple glass in the last photo of the door. What did you use for that?

It's a self adhesive, removable foil for windows/shower cabinets I found in our local arts and craft store. They sell it as 'matt' foil, what it seem to be in 1-1 scale, but there must have been a manufacturer with a modeler's heart  :). I used a piece of 0.5 mm Vivak screen as support material. The foil doesn't adhere on that to well (like cling film doesn't on some plastics) and so I fixed them both the foil and screen with a bit of CA at each edge to the frame. If somebody wants a piece of it - I have much more than I need.

Quote from: Hauk on March 04, 2017, 09:56:46 PM
The door looks very thin as there is no relief on the side shown in the picture. This could mean of course that all the relief detail is on the other side, but you would think some of it would show through the glass pane. What is the cross-section of the door like?

Hauk, good point. I was guided by a door from a vendor of historical building material's website http://www.historische-baustoffe-kreislauf.de/antike-haustuere-eiche-von-1932.html, but didn't intend to copy it exactly. The glass frame isn't thought to be openable at my door and there's less detailing. The prototype door seems to have been 3.6 cm in diametre. Making the cross was quite difficult and I hoped to be able to eschew the back cross and frame, because they're not visible later on, but you're absolutely right. Indeed the complete door has some 1.5 mm in diametre which is prototypical in scale and one doesn't recognize that the way it is at the moment. I'll try to add cross and frame, hoping it won't show the too thick screen then ...

Thanks for your hint!

Cheers,
Volker

Hydrostat

Here we go:

The door frame isn't sloped; I didn't tape it correctly for the picture.

Added some first greyish stains. More to come. Thanks again Hauk, much appreciated!

Cheers,
Volker

fspg2

Volker, the door has won by the new leaf!  I like it :D

I had so much fun to transform the CAD files of Volker into milling data that I couldn´t stop until all were converted ... and as they were on the computer, they could also be milled   ;)

Wilhelmstrasse_01 (fspg2)

All milled parts were cleaned at the edges ... I could do it in my new "dust room" very well, so Volker had no mud in his apartment.

Wilhelmstrasse_16 (fspg2)

So the house grew peu à peu. In the following pictures the Forex sheets are stuck together with masking tape loosely.

Wilhelmstrasse_02 (fspg2)

Wilhelmstrasse_03 (fspg2)

Wilhelmstrasse_04 (fspg2)

Some edges were sawed with my Böhler saw. (Angle between 12° to 45°).

Wilhelmstrasse_05 (fspg2)

Wilhelmstrasse_06 (fspg2)

The floor and ceiling plates I milled in two steps because of their size - my milling machine is just too small ... or the house too large.

Wilhelmstrasse_07 (fspg2)

Wilhelmstrasse_08 (fspg2)

Wilhelmstrasse_09 (fspg2)

The 2mm deep grooves in the ceiling panels will be used to hold the room walls. These are interconnected also slotted. This facilitates the rectangular assembly while adding stability.

Wilhelmstrasse_10 (fspg2)

[size=11](first floor)[/size]

Wilhelmstrasse_11 (fspg2)

[size=11](first floor)[/size]

Wilhelmstrasse_13 (fspg2)

The front wall got a few small slots. So the polystyrene decoration plates can  be fitted precisely.

Wilhelmstrasse_12 (fspg2)

The attic got also walls with mitred sawn.

Wilhelmstrasse_14 (fspg2)

The addition inside:

Wilhelmstrasse_17 (fspg2)

The ground floor received 15mm thick walls as reinforcement:

Wilhelmstrasse_20 (fspg2)

... a few parts I have not sent to Volker:

Forex_Reste (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

Frithof, you have completely lost your mind! -- ssuR

Bill Gill

Volker, The door looked very good in the earlier  photos, but now it looks better.

Frithof, I am jealous of your tools and skills, even if that creates a room full of dust :)

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Allan G

fspg2

Recently I visited Volker. So I could see how far he has progressed his house ,,Lohmann".

Wilhelmstrasse_21 (fspg2)

The milled parts are already stuck together as much as possible.

Wilhelmstrasse_22 (fspg2)

All floors will be removable later.

Wilhelmstrasse_23 (fspg2)

The basement windows have grouted panes ...

Wilhelmstrasse_24 (fspg2)

On several walls Volker had already taken the first color attempts to mimic a convincing plaster later.

Wilhelmstrasse_25 (fspg2)

Looking from the outside inside

Even the basement walls have received a beautiful plaster surface ... so to say, "exercise walls" - later you can not see much of it.

Wilhelmstrasse_26 (fspg2)

view from the inside out

Later you can ,,see" Volkers new basement stairs ... or better guess through the window. :wink:

Wilhelmstrasse_27 (fspg2)

Here his little works of art arise ....

Wilhelmstrasse_28 (fspg2)

Frithjof