• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A snapshot in time. A glimpse of the Plettenberger Kleinbahn in 1/22.5 scale.

Started by Hydrostat, September 27, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

Barney

Amazing  - total mind blowing stuff
Barney

marc_reusser

Does the government know you are ripping up their rails an ties?

Simply beautiful result.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Beautiful work.  Most realistic tie and rail I've seen.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

1-32

great
lets have a look at what you have done. have you have put down a base stain then applied a top coat of either plaster or gessio just under the track.then this has been stained or painted thus creating a contrast.
true or false?
kind regards kim

Hydrostat

Thanks a lot for your friendly words, guys!

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on February 25, 2014, 11:47:01 AM
It is a pity that you have to lacquer the track, although I understand your approach. I also fear that all those wonderful small rusty blotches on the rail surface (they look like dried up wet areas - simply breathtaking...) will disappear after that  :-\

Peter, I decided to firstly leave it as it is. Concerning the rusty blotches: Wait until the wheels start rolling!

Quote from: lab-dad on February 26, 2014, 05:10:33 AM
Why not seal it in a perfect vacuum at minus 40 degrees? :o
That should adequately preserve it.
Of course we will always have these pictures.  ;D
Unless the hosted site(s) go down, the power fails or the world wide web suffers a hiccup..... :-\

-Marty

Interesting approach, but I'm not willing to play in a space suit. My refrigerator doesn't fit that size.

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 26, 2014, 09:54:29 PM
Does the government know you are ripping up their rails an ties?
Simply beautiful result.

Which one? Yours surely does (at least thinks it does). Don't tell them it's a fake.

Quote from: 1-32 on February 27, 2014, 03:28:45 PM
great
lets have a look at what you have done. have you have put down a base stain then applied a top coat of either plaster or gessio just under the track.then this has been stained or painted thus creating a contrast.
true or false?
kind regards kim

I had shown the rusted steel rails some posts ago. Those are the clamps and plates which Helmut had milled and burnished for me.

I only used water, water color and Gravoxide; the blotches on top of the rail simply were small water drops.

First of all all the brass shiny areas resulting from mounting the parts were burnished with Gravoxide. This results in a blackish/brownish and water accepting surface so I could use water color to start toning it down. At the places covered with tin I used some leather brown acrylic to get a first layer. I dampened the rails and started to apply black and umber water color for the undertone. Using a somewhat stiffer brush one can remove a bit of the rust stains and push them towards other areas. I also collected the rust powder (from clearing for soldering with a wire brush pen) and added that at some places. To accelerate rusting I sometimes added Gravoxide to the humid surface. Be careful if there's a combination of steel and brass; it then tends to get greenish. It's a time consuming process as you need to wait for the metal rusting while drying. I repeated that again and again till I had a result I liked. I added a bit orange and carmine red water color (always thinned, so the pigments tend to flow to edges) at the parts where there is movement and friction at the prototype like some screws and the rail joiners. It takes some patience because the rails are much darker when wet and you only can recognize the effect when it's completely dry. The first pics showed some accumulation of pigments in the edges with some garish colors. I then used a stiff brush to clean out those areas. That's it. I hope it was understandable. Next posts in German and Klingon.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

By all means please post in Klingon! -- Russ

Hydrostat

bIpIv'a', russ, jIQuch Hoch nIv ta'. 'IwlIj jachjaj, QIb.  ;)

shropshire lad

Quote from: Hydrostat on February 28, 2014, 01:27:48 PM
bIpIv'a', russ, jIQuch Hoch nIv ta'. 'IwlIj jachjaj, QIb.  ;)

Volker, you can't say things like that about Russ on a public forum . And besides the case was never proved !

Hydrostat

Nick, you're right from a human view. But - a Klingon has to! No offense against other species, please.

finescalerr

I thought his telling me to sit on the sharp end of a phaser was rather cute.

For a Klingon.

Russ

chester

That's odd, not what I got from Google translation.

artizen

Google translate doesn't support Klingon, but Bing does -

are you healthy?, russ lifted the value of all, the King. Cheers, Shadow.

Now I want to know who Shadow is?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

mspaw

Volker-

Thanks so much for sharing you work. Im loving this forum, so much to learn and be inspired by. keep up the amazing work.

One question for you, what did you have to provide have to provide Dave at vectorcut to achieve the nicely rounded letting on the various drain covers and other laser cut pieces? was it just an image file or a vector file like a .ai? And did he have do do anything special to achieve the rounded casting look on the type?

Thanks so much!

-Michael

Hydrostat

Ich fürchte, dass ich besser Sauerkraut kochen als klingonisch schreiben kann. Letzteres mache ich zumindest noch seltener.

Well, this was the German post. Now back to English. Be sure that Ian's translation from Klingon to English via Bing may be correct. But be sure, too, it isn't what I'd have Bing translate from English to Klingon. I wrote something like "As ever you want, Russ, I'll accomplish your desire. Cheers, Volker" (Nick, this exclusively refers to Russ' wish for a Klingon post). So ... shadow seems to be me? I don't even want to think about it. I hope this doesn't lead to some interstellar disgruntlement.

Quote from: mspaw on March 01, 2014, 04:34:56 PM
One question for you, what did you have to provide have to provide Dave at vectorcut to achieve the nicely rounded letting on the various drain covers and other laser cut pieces? was it just an image file or a vector file like a .ai? And did he have do do anything special to achieve the rounded casting look on the type?
-Michael

Thanks, Michael.
I'm not sure if I got you right. Do you mean the 3-dimensional, sloped parts? Howsoever all drawings need to be vector files - including the lettering - with different layers for cutting (lines), engraving (planes; don't know if it's the right translation; means a plane with color fill) and the 3-dimensional slopes, which one can achieve by color gradients. Please specify your question if this didn't help.

Cheers,
Volker