• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A snapshot in time. A glimpse of the Plettenberger Kleinbahn in 1/22.5 scale.

Started by Hydrostat, September 27, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Interesting and informative discussion, IMHO your sleepers look great Volker ...... Just maybe a bit of work on the end grain.

Those reference shots Peter are useful, never seen (noticed?) those S shaped metal strengtheners before .... Presumably added where pronounced grain is leading to full depth splits in the timber
Gordon

Peter_T1958

BTW, you can see the explanation of those "S" irons on Rays youtube link:

General Forums ->  Great video of 1920's cross tie logging -> 17:11-17.20

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Hydrostat

Some veneer strips served to thicken the ties. I followed your hints concerning the end grain, the too square shape and the brightness at the sides. I used a sanding disk for the shape and a very slowly turning miniature wire brush disk with the drill for the grain. Those pics were taken under a cloudy sky; I think they match the color better than the last ones under artficial lighting.

Don't mind the faces with the visible edge of the glued on veneer. It's nearly invisible from the sides.

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on February 09, 2014, 09:05:15 AM
BTW, you can see the explanation of those "S" irons on Rays youtube link:
General Forums ->  Great video of 1920's cross tie logging -> 17:11-17.20

There were at least three more kinds: nail plates, band clamps and even square crewed binders.

Thanks again for all your feedback and especially for the reference pics! Very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

BKLN

This is just amazing to watch. Excellent work, Volker!

finescalerr

Malachi Constant

Do you have any shirts to match those ties?   ;D  They look great!  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

1-32

Hydrostat

Thanks, Christian, Russ, Dallas and Kim!

Quote from: Malachi Constant on February 10, 2014, 03:52:18 PM
Do you have any shirts to match those ties?   ;D  They look great!  -- Dallas

Unfortunately not. No longer, at least: My wife didn't like the tar blotches. >:(

I worked a bit with color to achieve a unifying look.

Left hand of the soldered part is pure rust, right hand the colored area:

Insulation was made with a single layer of tissue paper, drenched with CA.

Some plastic rivets serve as screw imitations. Unfortunately they are a bit too thick for the M1 washers so I had to counterbore them to 1 mm.

So there are no visible threads, but it doesn't matter: At the prototype the screws end with the washer so I will shorten them.

I'm looking for a matte lacquer / fluid to fix the pigments and watercolor and to stop furthermore rusting. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Hauk

I have seen quite a few miles of model track, belive me, but yours is the best. Incredible and inspiring!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

That track is truly amazing! So realistic, I can almost smell the creosote and hear the rails expanding in the morning sun!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Hydrostat on February 25, 2014, 04:52:13 AM
I'm looking for a matte lacquer / fluid to fix the pigments and watercolor and to stop furthermore rusting. Any suggestions?

It is a pity that you have to lacquer the track, although I understand your approach. I also fear that all those wonderful small rusty blotches on the rail surface (they look like dried up wet areas - simply breathtaking...) will disappear after that  :-\
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

mad gerald

... pretty well done, old bean - chapeau!  8)

finescalerr

I cannot believe you were able to do that with paints, stains, and powders. An absolutely superb finish. Most satisfactory. -- Russ

lab-dad

Why not seal it in a perfect vacuum at minus 40 degrees? :o
That should adequately preserve it.
Of course we will always have these pictures.  ;D
Unless the hosted site(s) go down, the power fails or the world wide web suffers a hiccup..... :-\

-Marty