• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A snapshot in time. A glimpse of the Plettenberger Kleinbahn in 1/22.5 scale.

Started by Hydrostat, September 27, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydrostat

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Um, yes, I am sure.

But there was just some small and not too well documented progress in the last few months. With support from a few Buntbahn guys (Frithjof, Helmut and Joachim; thanks again!) the grooved rail bending tool took shape. Those are the parts for the pulleys, which needed to be assembled from three cnc millable parts each to achieve the right shape.

The grooved rail isn't symmetrical, so I needed three pulleys of each shape.

Helmut milled the bearing parts for the vice.

The adjustable pulley can be driven via the hex. The thread of the screw is turned down on the lathe and the pulley is fixed with a setscrew.

I used a drawing with the exact radius and the inner outlines of the rail and some radial lines to shorten the inner rail and to add the bores for the spacers and joints.

And I started soldering the bridge parts in a jig that Frithjof milled for me.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

artizen

Take your time - each update is wonderful.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

finescalerr

lab-dad

WOW! COOL! GREAT! AWESOME!!

I have been wondering how to make a rail bender for my (eventual) 1/16th stuff.
Thank you so much for posting the pictures.

-Marty

Hydrostat

Hi,

thanks for your comments.

The track curve leading from the switch to the bridge is done.

The wooden ties had to be shortened according the straight bridge's side beam. The grooved rail was laid on steel ties following the bridge. I had to remove the clamp imitations of the resine ties and mount them with screws, rail clips and washers. At the later on not visible part I used half ties and beechwood ties with M2 thread and screws to fix the rails. The wood is hard enough  - the threads cannot be torn out and the rail is easily adjustable with some countersunk head screws (one can divine that in the upper picture's background).

I started coloring the steel ties with a layer of opaque leather brown and toned that afterwards with a wash of brown and black gouache. Last layer is rust powder, which I get from brushing the prerusted rails with a stiff bristle brush.

Unfortunately all the gauge bars had to be shortened about 0.5 mm, meaning unsoldering them, filing them down and solder and blacken them again  >:( . Another issue were the rail clips, which didn't clamp strong enough. I added a paper layer to raise diameter. For that I fixed the clamps with double sided self adhesive tape to a piece of angle section,

applied the paper strip to the clamps with CA,

and cut it off succinctly afterwards.

The strip can now be easily removed and cut to pieces with a blade.

Now the rail clips clamp ...

Cheers,
Volker

BKLN

Volker, this is just amazing! In general, there are two kinds of model builders: the miniature engineers and the painters / sculptors. You are a true master of both, which is very rare!

Christian

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I agree with both of the above. But I thought you told me you've been away from the workbench. You post certainly seems to suggest otherwise. -- Russ

Hydrostat

Thanks, Christian and Ray. And Russ.

Quote from: finescalerr on September 08, 2014, 11:40:18 AM
I agree with both of the above. But I thought you told me you've been away from the workbench. You post certainly seems to suggest otherwise. -- Russ

Russ, sometimes I'm fast. May be the result of our conversation. Or was it the threats or the sweeteners?

Chuck Doan

Pretty much speechless again Volker! This is truly amazing. That track is superb.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

fspg2

I've just discovered a movie of an exhibition on which you have issued the Sauerland modules. 

It started at 3:30: 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KL1EsqMmxHI 

If you like it historically, a film that illustrates beautifully the atmosphere of Plettenberg narrow-gauge railway from the year 1961: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E95TNqnSof4

Frithjof

Lawton Maner

Who is the vender for the brass structural shapes you are using to fabricate this wonder?

Ray Dunakin

Neat video, really nice to see the module in operation. I love that little steam dummy!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Quote from: fspg2 on December 29, 2014, 12:14:55 PM
I've just discovered a movie of an exhibition on which you have issued the Sauerland modules. If you like it historically, a film that illustrates beautifully the atmosphere of Plettenberg narrow-gauge railway from the year 1961[...]

Frithjof, thanks for posting!

Quote from: Lawton Maner on December 30, 2014, 03:14:31 PM
Who is the vender for the brass structural shapes you are using to fabricate this wonder?

I'm not sure what exactly you mean, but there is a manufacturer/vender in Liechtenstein: http://www.hassler-profile.li/ His website and order process isn't that comfortable, but here you find some profiles in English: http://www.hassler-profile.li/HasslerProfileKatalogD.html He's the only one I know who provides prototypically shaped brass beams and angle section with sloped branches and rounded edges. Still there's compromising with material thickness, but to me it seems he has some unique selling point there ... If you need support getting through the website I'll be happy to help.

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on December 30, 2014, 05:48:45 PM
Neat video, really nice to see the module in operation. I love that little steam dummy!

Thanks, Ray, but what do you mean with the 'steam dummy' :P?

Cheers,
Volker

Ray Dunakin

Over here, an enclosed steam locomotive was often called a "steam dummy". A lot of early street car lines used steam dummies. They also often covered the valves and rods, to prevent scaring horses.

Ray Dunakin's World