• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

How to cover foam?

Started by JESTER, September 25, 2013, 08:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JESTER

I'm making a small foam model and want to paint it but the paint will dissolve the foam. It's Pink insulation foam that I got from Home Depot.

Is there anything I can spray on or paint on that will dry hard so i can sand it and then primer it? I was thinking of using Bondo Glazing Putty but haven't tried it yet.

Thanks

Ray Dunakin

A couple layers of latex house paint would probably be sufficient.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

JESTER

Thanks Ray. Is house paint gummy or will it sand OK?

nalmeida

You could use Gesso, it's an acrylic product that artists use to prime their canvas. Since it's acrylic I don't think it arms the foam. It's more expensive than regular housepaint and you'll need a few layers to protect it. I think it's sandable but I never tried to sand it.

darrylhuffman

I use plain old acrylic paint on my stryofoam.

But if you want to sand it, then Gesso is the way to go.

There are some relatively cheap bulk containers available at Michael's.

Use their coupon in the Sunday paper or online coupon at their website.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

JESTER

marc_reusser

Dude. Call Coastal Enterprises I I think that was what I texte you)...and ask them they havewater based, sandable resins and primer coats, that will seal the stuff, and is sandable. Dries hard and firm...is sandable, and can be augmented/patched with Bondo and Automotive Glaing Putty.
Talk to a sales rep, and hae them send you a sample quart ishould be enough for the current need and experimenting), as well as a sample deck/pieces of the othe finish products. You should have no problem getting the samples, as this project is not for hobby but production use......thus you would likely need more of their products in the future if this works.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

JESTER

Thanks Marc! I wasn't sure if the stuff from Coastal would work with that pink foam.

I got some samples of their foam and it's very cool stuff!! I might make the full size model from that foam.

Thanks man!!!

JESTER

Thanks again Marc, I tried this stuff and it works great. FSC-88 WB HDU Surface Prime.

They have some really nice foam in a plethora of densities.

I tested some out along with some Bondo Glazing Putty. The bondo melted the foam. I'm going to put Bondo over the primer today and see what happens. I believe it will work.

greenie

When you have exhausted all other avenues, then try this product, it sticks like the proverbial turd to a blanket, and even covers better than that dirty blanket.

Check out what it's made from.

http://www.paintaccess.com.au/products/zinsser-b-i-n-white-pigmented-shellac-primer-sealer?gclid=CLDHq6O68bkCFYTApAod0B8A1A

regards  greenie

David Emery

Zinnser makes a water based sealer paint, that's worth a try.  Once I had some "Drylok" concrete sealer paint left over, and I tried that on foam.  It seemed to stick pretty well.

dave