• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Small Turbine

Started by eTraxx, September 21, 2013, 08:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

Work in progress .. still need to add control rods/handles

Pulleys and supports

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Mr Potato Head

Nice start! very cool subject
I assume that's a printed wheel?
keep going show us more
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

finescalerr

More info please. Nice pics. -- Russ

eTraxx

Okie Dokie. I go into more detail on my website since .. well .. I use it as a virtual scratchpad in a way.

The turbine .. I walk through the thought process. I enjoy the research and number crunching and the 'figuring out' as much as the modeling.
Turbine

In short the turbine was constructed in Sketchup with the intent to add the bolt heads and rivets after and then use the thing as a master. In reality I need to make changes to do that so it ended up just as a one-off model.

Here's a rendering in Kerkythea. I did it in bronze simply that it renders nicely.

The printed bits and pieces .. literally. I was trying to get too 'cute' and made some of the walls just too thin. Hey .. it's a learning thing. I also made the holes for the rivets .015 in .. and the 'studs' on the Tichey rivets/bolts are .020 in. Ooops! I also forgot to add alignment tabs/pins .. the parts in the upper right were warped slightly and had to use masking tape to align. Still .. ok .. like I said .. learning.

Here's the thing before the paint. The body is some 1 in dia tubing I got from Plastruct. Note that this at the small end of turbines ... with the about 9 ft of head from my dam would have produced perhaps 24 hp. Fine for the purpose. When I do this again I will try and print the bolts and rivets instead.

The plaster bit below my thumb is the pulley support.  I go on (and on) about these under Pulley Support .. basically the support for the pedestals/bearings that the pulley shafts sit on.

In Flat Belt Pulley .. I go way to much into the math .. probably only some of the people on this forum would appreciate this kind of crazy .. :)

Here's the pulley as rendered in Sketchup

and as from Shapeways .. no cleaning of the wax yet.
Ed Traxler

1-32

hi
nice little turban,is there any chance of a photo of the feed pipe i have found that making a large radius industral pipe difficult.
kind regards kim

eTraxx

Kim,
Here's a photo of an outside mounted Turbine Wheel. The feed is the pipe that runs into the building. The tailpipe (exhaust) is to the right. Note that the feed pipe is about the same diameter as the body of the turbine. The little one I posted up is actually too small but at the time that was the only tubing I had on hand.

Ed Traxler

Ray Dunakin

Really interesting subject for a model, and your's looks great!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

Thanks Ray. It is more of a .. umm .. test really. Next one will be better .. and bigger .. twice the size. This one would have been for a farm or small industrial area. With 9ft of head from my dam .. about 24 hp. I should have put the dam higher but .. shrug. A turbine twice the size with a 30ft head would put out several hundred HP. Fun stuff.
Ed Traxler

finescalerr

The results you get from SketchUp are very encouraging. Thanks for the additional info. Very nice work. -- Russ

Gordon Ferguson

Really nice job, just love these bits of old industrial equipment.

What you have achieved with this piece has convinced me I really have to try this CAD/Sketchup and 3 d printing
Gordon

Alexandre

Beautiful piece of modelling!
Very lovely!

Thanks for all the screenshots and info.
I like seeing you guys developing this 3D models.
It's a totally different new world for me, always amazed by what you can do.

okiecrip

once again great work ed
gary wise

Chuck Doan

Very nice Ed! Always glad to see 3D printing projects.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

eTraxx

Pulley support, pedestals and pulley

Next will come up with a belt. There was an article in RMC where someone used thin plastic .. think it was Tyvex to make a belt.
Ed Traxler

Arno Boudoiron