• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

In-ko-pah RR: Brick building

Started by Ray Dunakin, September 20, 2013, 10:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I've started a new building for the town of Mineral Ridge, on my In-ko-pah Railroad. This is my first attempt at modeling a brick building. I'm using Sintra PVC foam board, and scribing the brick pattern. I began by cutting out the front wall from 6mm thick Sintra, and drawing the door and window openings with pencil. This must be done lightly so as not to leave indentations that will mar the brick pattern:

To scribe the horizontal lines, I made a special tool out of brass. Two pieces of .020" thick brass strips were soldered onto opposite sides of a square brass rod:

Another simple tool was made from a strip of .020" brass, for scribing the vertical lines. (I call it scribing, but on these short lines I'm really just pressing the tool into the material.)

Here are a couple shots of the entire front wall, after the basic brick pattern has been scribed. There are some goofs that will need to be patched up with putty. Also, the top portion of the wall will be built up with layers of thinner scribed PVC for a 3D effect:

I used 3mm board to build up the decorative upper portion of the wall:

I still have to add more layers to create the trim at the top edge of the wall, but here's how it looks so far:

And here it is set in place on the layout, to give you an idea of how this building will look in its environment:

There will be stone arches above the door and window openings on the ground floor, and stone lintels on the second story windows. To create these, I will be casting resin stone blocks. I started by carving the masters from 3mm Sintra. Here they are laid out and ready to pour the silicone rubber mold:

While I was at it, I also carved some blocks which will be used on my next building:

That's all for now, more later. Enjoy!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

BKLN

Very nice! I love anything brick.

I really like your brass tool, in particular the "double edge"!

Christian

finescalerr

I think we will excuse you for not building the walls brick by brick; your method required plenty of effort. Everything looks good so far. I will be very interested to see to the distressing, painting, and weathering stage. Can you chip Sintra? -- Russ

Junior

Wow, that's a lot of work but with of course excellent results!

Anders

lab-dad

Looks great!
May be a solution for my heavy walls?........

How are you using the double tool to make the horizontal lines?
Are you actually scribing or just pressing?

-Marty

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

chester

Nice work maintaining a consistent look to each piece. Look forward to finish.

mabloodhound

Nice job Ray and I like the way the Sintra takes the impressions.
Should make a realistic brick building when you're done with it.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ray Dunakin

Here's a brief update:

I finished the fancy trim on the top edge of the wall:

This is supposed to represent a pretty old, run-down building, so I've also started distressing some of the bricks:

Still have more distressing and aging to do, but this gives you some idea of where I'm headed.

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Impressive Ray! That is a lot of patient carving-nice job!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Time for another update:

I needed a tool to press the mortar lines into the edges of the window openings, so I just took an old #11 blade and ground it flat:

I also carved more wear into some of the bricks. The loose brick was created by gluing a thin wedge to the face of the scribed brick:

The side walls of this building would have been made of cheaper material such as rubble stone, so I scribed stone texture into the upper portion of the walls. To see a step-by-step of this technique, check out my previous build here: 

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR_Mineral_Ridge_1.html

On the east wall, only a small portion of the wall will be visible above the previous building:

My next building will probably be only a single story, so I had to texture a large portion of the west wall of this building:

I added stone lintels to the upstairs windows. The thin ones at the bottom of the windows are resin castings. I had hoped to use existing castings for the large ones above the windows, but they were a bit too tall. So I just carved some new ones out of Sintra PVC specifically for this building:

The bottom of the front wall wall is stone, so I glued on some of the resin castings I'd made for my previous building. On the right, the castings have been cut to fit the sloping sidewalk:

I also glued some castings to the foundation. Eventually all the "stone" parts of the building will be painted the same sandstone color as the previous building:

The front and side walls were glued together and the subfloor installed. Then I discovered that the foundation is slightly non-square, preventing the building from fitting up tight against the sidewalk. No big deal, I'll just fill the gap later:

Here's how it all looks so far, with the building temporarily in position on the layout:

That's all for now, more later. Enjoy!

Ray Dunakin's World

Ray Dunakin

I forgot to include this...

Here's a small, "quick and dirty" test piece I did last year when I was first considering using Sintra to simulate brick:

As you can see it looks a lot better after it's painted.

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

The building looks great. Nice attention to detail and fabrication.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Adequately impressive. -- Russ

And clever.

Junior

Excellent work Ray! The concrete steps look absolutely real!

Anders