• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

"Moving Day" new diorama in 1/35 scale already in progress

Started by Junior, September 16, 2013, 01:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior

Volker, no offense at all. This is what this forum is all about, to get input bad or good and it´s very helpful.

The second picture with the "lady" was shot in this manner. Seven exposures at various focusing points and then stacked in Helicon Focus. I did make an error and missed one exposure right where the "lady" and the bike are located, that´s why this picture is crap. I´ll shoot a better one and include that when I have the final pictures ready to post.

Hope I got you right Volker because I was a bit confused about the blur......positive or negative? I´ll guess negative.

The crooked wire from the lamp is also crap and could of course have been replaced (maybe one day) but to my own defense I have to say that it´s almost not visible under the naked eye. Remember these pictures shows something that is only about a third in size in reality. Many skilled modelers do avoid these shots but I kind of like them even though they do show your mistakes immediately.

Looking forward to more input.

Anders

Junior

Had another one......a little bit closer, different lightning but more in focus, cropped out the bloody wire  ;)! Will re-shoot in any case.

chester

Well the ambiance is a bonus, the modeling is top notch. Lovely stuff. Wish I could figure out he Helicon software.

Hydrostat

Anders,

I thought about stacking when I saw your second picture. I'm using Photoshop for that and do know that there often is a problem with the blur, especially if you have very thin objects in the foreground. Your new picture works much better for me concerning the sharpness - although the mood in the other one is great. And to make it even more complicated concerning positive and negative: The blur at the head is an advantage as it looks like a movement of the person. Try to mount sharpened hanlebars into that picture; could be a nice effect.

By the way and once again: That's a great piece of modeling.  :o The carpet and the hand wash look very good to me - and so do all the textures on the walls and the floors.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Ray Dunakin

I have to say, I really love this model. The more I look at it, the more interesting details and textures I see.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Chester, if you have Photoshop you might not need Helicon Focus. Try taking a series of shots, like Anders did, and focus at different points. Basically set the tripod so it won't move and just adjust the lens.

Stack the shots in layers in Photoshop and use the feathered eraser tool at an appropriate diameter, or the select tool with feathered edges, to remove the part of each layer that is out of focus. Beneath it should be the next shot where that part is IN focus.

Russ

Arno Boudoiron

granitechops

Quote from: Junior on November 07, 2013, 02:46:02 AM
Pic.2

Anders great scenes!! wow

being very picky now

VERY picky

but

the clothes line,
did you do the clothes on the line with the line stretched out in a STRAIGHT line & then postion it in place in a curve?
only that purple? garment on left is not hanging vertically,
left edge is sticking out sideways,

I also have to say
I could not achieve what you have accomplished
Don in sunny Devon, England

chester

Frederic Testard

Anders I'm really amazed by your model. I understand what you told me about the scale you can't leave once you've discovered it. It's the main reason why I try to stay carefully away from it...  :)
Frederic Testard

1-32

hi andres.
great subject a european court yard in about the 1920 perhaps.there are so many good aspects, but lookng at the first series i feel that the concrete covering the cobble stones need a bit of work.maybe it is the photo but the plaster is too blue and where it is just covering the paving it is too thick maybe it needs a bit of sanding it make it blend properly.
lovely piece kind regards kim

Junior

Hi guys and thanks for all the input again  ??? :)!

If I got it right I´ll guess the following will take care of your thoughts.

The clothes line.

The garments are of course castings and would only hang perfectly natural on a horizontal line (normally they do sag a bit) unless you want to re-sculpt them. No one has yet pointed out that the line itself is a bit thick  ;D  but that´s only temporary and here´s why. First I used a super thin fly-fishing nylon line. If you want everything to be in focus and stack your pictures in for instance Helicon Focus nothing can move between exposures, (outdoors it was constantly moving) therefore I used a thin brass wire. When I´m done with the final pictures it will be back to the fishing line.

Colors.

This is the first model I have photographed that creates real problems. My knowledge about camera settings for adjusting color balance is limited. Either the yellow/brownish building looks lemon yellow and the concrete looks fine or the building looks fine and the concrete looks blue.

Maybe for instance Marty J. or Russ could help out on how to get rid of this problem? Is there a possibility that the blue building creates a problem with the color of the concrete? It mostly occurs outdors.

Anders

finescalerr

Odd you should have a problem outdoors. My guess is the paint colors you chose simply fool the sensor. If you shot the images in RAW mode (the mode for ALL photos except throw-away snapshots) you have some control in Photoshop's conversion software and you may need to desaturate everything a little. If that doesn't solve the problem, you may have to select the offending color and either adjust it or desaturate even more.

I frequently receive images where one or more colors are too saturated or just wrong. I've found no shortcut; I have to use the magic wand or the select tool with some feathering and fix the colors manually.

In the case of your shots, the easiest fix is to color balance the image for the wall and manually tone down the blues where necessary. Easy because you only need to desaturate the blues; you don't have to do any color adjustment for the blues and you may be able change things easily with the desaturate tool.

Russ

Frederic Testard

Thanks for the color tips, Russ. I tried to do as you said on Anders' pic. It gives a pleasant result (on my old Paint Shop Pro, I desaturated somewhat blues and cyans, enhanced a little yellows and reds and got the pic below).

Frederic Testard

Junior

Thanks Russ, some great advice! Will for sure follow your instructions for the next and final session.

Fredéric.......Wow I like that! From now on I´ll send you all of my problematic pictures  ;). I´m no good with photoshop.

Anders